New TV adaptation ordered by Showtime

For discussion of A&E's television show Let The Right One In
Siggdalos

New TV adaptation ordered by Showtime

Post by Siggdalos » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:00 pm

http://johnajvidelindqvist.com/article.php?id=81
My translation:
Let the Right One In has been filmed twice before. 2008 saw the release of Tomas Alfredson's version, and two years later came the American remake. Now it's time again. This time it's the American TV network Showtime making their version of John's book. The network has ordered a pilot episode and the lead role will be played by the Oscar-nominated Demián Bichir (A Better Life).

Bichir plays Mark, a husband and father who had the perfect life until it was turned upside down by a mysterious creature that bit his daughter, Eleanor, and then disappeared into the night. Ten years later, the now 12-year-old girl is locked up and only allowed to go out at night, while her father does his best to provide her with the minimal amount of human blood she needs to stay alive. The series aims to repeat genre expectations as it turns a naturalistic lens on human weakness, strength and compassion.

The award-winning playwright, author and producer Andrew Hinderaker (Penny Dreadful) will serve as showrunner and executive producer alongside Seith Mann (Homeland), who's also going to be directing the pilot.

"Let the Right One In quickly establishes itself as a thrilling drama that poses the question: How far would you go to save your child from the monsters - would you risk becoming a monster yourself?" says Showtime's Amy Israel. "Demián Bichir is one of the world's most dynamic and enrapturing actors. His charisma and vulnerability is guaranteed to elevate Andrew Hinderaker's excellent screenplay, guided by Seith Mann's directing. We couldn't be any more excited for this show's potential."

"The show is both a love letter to the original film and a unique story of its own", Hinderaker added. "Casting a true artist like Demián is a bold endeavor to be one of the most frightening and engaging series on TV."

John is not personally involved with the project.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

metoo

Re: New TV adaptation ordered by Showtime

Post by metoo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:12 pm

It appears that this is a completely new story that includes some elements from LtROI, but in a new setting and with a new perspective.

This might work out.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:43 pm

I'd rather see some variant of Oskar and Eli's story but at least it's not just a retread like LMI.
No banaaaanas?

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 pm

Sounds interesting. It’s from the same producers of the 2017 TNT “Let The Right One In” TV show which never made into a full series after they finished filming the pilot. But now they have a different script, cast and crew. I hope we get to see a full series this time.

manananmaclir

Post by manananmaclir » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Sounds like it's pretty much cut from whole cloth, excepting the idea of a juvenile vampire. Though it sounds like she's still aging. Might be interesting. I have a lousy track record for watching TV shows, though, so I'll probably have to wait for a full report from the group before I decide to invest time. :)

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:08 am

Could be interesting, but why don't they use another title, as it is a complete different story it seems.

It also looks it would be heavily focused on this father-Hakan-like character, as they talk a lot about Bichir.

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm

https://deadline.com/2021/04/anika-noni ... 234735144/
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/anika- ... 234952576/
Variety wrote:Anika Noni Rose has been cast in the “Let the Right One In” pilot at Showtime, Variety has learned. [...] Rose will appear in the series regular role of Naomi. Described as brilliant but cynical, Naomi balances life as a single mother with her career as a homicide detective. She’d do anything for her son, Isaiah, and when Isaiah befriends the girl who’s just moved in next door, Naomi’s thrilled, until she starts to suspect something’s off with their new neighbors.
Guess the show is going to have more in common with the original story than it seemed at first.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:05 am

I'm likely in the same situation as @manananmaclir when it'll come to finding a chance and a way to watch this. Yet, I look forward to see what they come up with. Until this last posting, I was agreeing with @Pissball that coming up with a name other than 'Let the Right One In' would make sense. Yet here we see that there is more pulled from the original story line.

My wonder now is how much invasion there will be of the story line by adult characters.

For example, the original 'Dark Shadows' television show centered on the mysterious Barnabas Collins. Even so, the character had very little screen time. Yet Barnabas' absence juxtapositioned alongside the threat of his presence added tension throughout the series. Might they do something similar here?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 am

So far comparing to the novel,

Eleanor Is Eli
Isaiah Is Oskar
Mark is Hakan
Naomi is the combination of Oskar’s mother and policeman Staffan?

Siggdalos

Post by Siggdalos » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:36 am

Tom wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 am
Naomi is the combination of Oskar’s mother and policeman Staffan?
Staffan and/or Gunnar Holmberg. Maybe a bit of Karin from LTODD as well.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Television Series)”