Let The Right One In at Provo, Utah

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
madhawkeye314

Let The Right One In at Provo, Utah

Post by madhawkeye314 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:44 pm

Going to go see the play live on stage tonight with this girl I like a lot. We watched the film last night (first time I watched it with anyone) and I think she liked it. Curious to see how the play does things differently from the 2 movies and the book. Super excited!

JToede

Re: Let The Right One In at Provo, Utah

Post by JToede » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:51 am

I'm going tomorrow night. Hope you enjoy it.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:42 am

"An Other Theater Company" (https://www.anothertheatercompany.com/)
Provo Utah

The "An Other Theater Company" has been staging LTROI, starting in October and will continue thru the second weekend in November.

https://allevents.in/provo/let-the-righ ... 1381984358

'Let the Right One In' at An Other Theater Company Daily Herald (Provo UT), 3 Nov 2018

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:56 am

Directed by: Christopher Clark and Morag Shepherd
Movement by: Graham Brown.

Actors:
Scout Smith
Brian Kocherhans
Ashley Wilkinson
Tyler Fox
Kacey Spadafora

JToede

Post by JToede » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Let me preface this by saying I’m not wise in the ways of preforming arts, or expressing myself though music, dancing, acting or the written word. So this is my uneducated take of the show. I would like to see the plays people did in Scotland or NYC so I could do a cross comparison.

It wasn’t what I expected in a play. Very interpretive and minimalist. They had 3 ladders, a few props and a big box on wheels. The theater is a in a mall, there is no stage, the room is 40ft by 60ft and the seats are about 8 pews surrounding the perimeter of the room and the actors preform in the center of the room.
The actors would jump up and down, in and out of the ladders. They followed the story they hit the major points of the story, -more or less-. It incorporated some things of the book and movie and took some liberties on there interpretation of the story. There were a few parts, that I thought “that wasn’t in the book or movie”.
There were only 5 actors, Oskar, Eli, the Mom, Hakan, and Jonny.

The actress played Oskar was good, she was very energetic and into the part. She would weave in and out of the rungs of ladders. She was a very good Oskar. She expressed the fear, excitement and love of the story.
The actor who played Eli, was a little dry and emotionless. He can act, and he demonstrated it particularly in the scene where Oskar cuts his hand to make a blood pact with Eli and at the pool scene. He went full Eli mode, with yelling and jumping around. He reminded of Teddy Buckland from “Scrubs”. I don’t think it was his acting ability, more of the directors take.
The actors who portraited Jonny, Hakan, Mr. Avila and Oskar’s Mom all did a very good job.

It took me a minute to get drawn in. I started to enjoy it after I started to look past the lack of a stage and interpretive nature. I liked it and it was very well done. I kept saying lines under my breath,not loud enough to disrupt.
Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire.

madhawkeye314

Post by madhawkeye314 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Yeah so my friend and I went to see it. Personally I thought the script was super interesting and well done (seemed in some ways to be closer to the book then the movies), but I"m not sure if I liked the Directors take on it. It was a little confusing to have Oskar played by a girl, but having Eli played by a boy did make some sense. Perhaps I'm just a literal person, but I would've liked to see some more supporting actors instead of so much miming. Overall though I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see it, although I might try to see it on a larger stage.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 am

madhawkeye314 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:55 pm
Yeah so my friend and I went to see it. Personally I thought the script was super interesting and well done (seemed in some ways to be closer to the book then the movies), but I"m not sure if I liked the Directors take on it. It was a little confusing to have Oskar played by a girl, but having Eli played by a boy did make some sense. Perhaps I'm just a literal person, but I would've liked to see some more supporting actors instead of so much miming. Overall though I'm glad that I had the opportunity to see it, although I might try to see it on a larger stage.
I bet that you'll get the chance because "It's got legs," as they say. Somewhere in this great wide world it's being performed just about all the time.

I like theater, but less so with dancing. I was surprised when I experienced the change to more choreography and mime between when I saw it in Brooklyn and when I saw it in Austin. Great fun either way because I got to meet some of my fellow forum members. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:03 am

Thank you for the descriptions :wub: Sounds like everybody had front-row seats - which is always good.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Front Row Reviewers - Utah
"Celebrating the GOOD in Utah arts"

Review: Let the Right One In Isn’t Everyone’s Cup of Tea–and That is Beautiful
by Jennifer Mustoe and/or Ashlei Havili Thomas, 31-Oct-2018
FRRU wrote: ...An Other Theater Company’s intimate setting of this show allows for a beautiful experience that left this reviewer feeling both privileged and renewed.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”