LTROI in Austin Texas 1/21/2017

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
Nightrider

LTROI in Austin Texas 1/21/2017

Post by Nightrider » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Outstanding show Saturday night (1/21/2017)
Sharing the experience with me is dongregg and PeteMork.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

gkmoberg1

Re: LTROI in Austin Texas 1/21/2017

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:26 am

Any review or critique?

(and tell dongregg to stop hugging eli)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:16 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Any review or critique?

As it was in New York's production, Austin's show was tragic, creepy, bloody, heartbreaking and ultimately unforgettable.
With only a few cast changes and very slight tweaks to the play, the Texas version was a resounding success.
I saw it on Wednesday and again on Saturday and both nights held my attention as if I was seeing it for the very first time.
The cast is really put through it's paces since LTROI is a very physical show with lots of special effects, quick costume changes and strong emotional highs and lows. It's quite a workout.
In any case, LTROI is an amazing audio visual experience that must be seen to fully appreciate the enormous amount of work and planning that went on behind the scenes. When you walk out of the theater, you feel exhausted, but in the good way. Awesome, awesome show.
Next LTROI is going to Seattle's Moore Theatre on February 2 to February 12 and then it's back to Texas at Houston's Alley Theatre on February 24 to March 19.
If anyone is in those areas on those dates...DO NOT miss the show.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:29 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Any review or critique?

Ever think it might be Eli hugging dongregg? Good luck telling that little sprite what to do!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:33 am

The production was fabulous! I took this picture from my seat before the play began, and was preparing to take a panoramic shot, but was immediately shut down by an usher. Apparently, photography -- even before the play starts -- is verboten.

As I discussed with Nightrider and dongregg, I was surprised by how much better it was than I had expected. The music was excellent. Though very different from that in the original film, it still managed to convey the cold, the isolation, and the loneliness that we all appreciate in the film. The special effects were often startling, frightening, and unexpected.

I was most concerned about how 20-something-year-old performers would be able to portray the innocence of the love between prepubescent Eli and Oskar without either appearing childishly stupid, or the relationship seeming to be too sexually suggestive. They walked the tightrope perfectly, in my opinion. I was very pleasantly surprised. A bit of humor, both physical and verbal, sprinkled throughout helped a great deal. The bedroom scene was specially effective in that sense.

You'll probably notice all those strategically-placed, short 'branches' on the trees, if you look closely. Eli and a few others scamper up and down them with boundless, graceful energy at various appropriate times during the performance, despite the fact that Nightrider discovered the cast, visible through a window in an adjacent building, playing a very physical but unknown game with a ball. We stood there watching them for at least 10 minutes. I even took a couple of bad photos of them, which I may post later.

In short, the trip was well worth it. And the beautiful pins, made by Nightrider himself and given to each of us (which of course we proudly wore on our lapels) topped off the evening perfectly.

Thanks again, Nightrider.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Good shot Pete! 8-)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:49 pm

I was impressed that the actors were more playful than in the Brooklyn production. Use of lights to establish mood (as seen in the photos above) and to focus attention on the action was effective and appreciated. The relationships among the characters was tender. The original choreography was developed beyond that of the Brooklyn production such that every scene had a stylized gracefulness. As you can imagine, the evening was magical in every way. 8-)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:Houston Press : Let the Right One In at the Alley Terrifies and Enthralls at the Alley Theatre , 25 February 2017 , by D.L. Groover
I'd say the review got it letter perfect (except that Ortega began playing Oskar in Brooklyn when London Oskar had a commitment and couldn't make the first U.S. tour).

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Meredith Borders, 20-Feb-2017
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN Review: Eli And Oskar Hit The Stage
"A stunning new production of John Ajvide Lindqvist’s novel has arrived in Houston."

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”