LET THE RIGHT ONE IN on NEW YORK STAGE!

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
a_contemplative_life

Re: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN on NEW YORK STAGE!

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 am

abner_mohl wrote:Image

Custom t-shirt I had made for the play using a picture I put together inspired by "I love NY"
That's very cool! :)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:52 pm

Wolfchild wrote:
gkmoberg1 wrote:I'm thinking that you could adopt me. And then when you travel to your native Scotland, I could come along, like a good son, and help out. After all, dad, you'll need help with the valises, the kilts, the haggis. And of course the Bowmore, Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Dalmore.
Oban. Mustn't forget the Oban. :wub:
So here I am today in the store...

which one? Or do I just get them all?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:
gkmoberg1 wrote:I'm thinking that you could adopt me. And then when you travel to your native Scotland, I could come along, like a good son, and help out. After all, dad, you'll need help with the valises, the kilts, the haggis. And of course the Bowmore, Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Dalmore.
Oban. Mustn't forget the Oban. :wub:
So here I am today in the store...

which one? Or do I just get them all?
Oh, just pull your Brinks armored truck around back and get 'em all.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:04 am

O-Kaaay...I guess I've been at 1111 long enough...So...

LTROI, courtesy of St. Ann's Warehouse and the National Theatre of Scotland...In a word: Excellent. I arrived just before the box office opened. I would have liked to have gotten there sooner, but I got lost on the way...about an hour and a half's worth of lost. Grrrrrr. When I arrived at St. Ann's, I came in the front door and I immediately spotted my three amigos up ahead.

I walked in and as I approached where they were, I said in a loud voice, "There is a reason why I hate driving in New York City!" At first, they didn't know I was talking to them, and then Night recognized me and a big grin came on his face.

"Heeey...we didn't think you were gonna make it." There were hugs all around and after a quick pit stop by yours truly, Night gave me a care package he had made, some pics of which are posted below. Before the show, I had a kind theater lady, whose name I can't recall, take a couple of pics of the four of us, the best of which is also posted below.

I wasn't seated up front with the others, but my seat was pretty good. It was six rows back and a bit off to the right from my perspective. Truth be told, being in the front row that close to the action -- especially a live show -- would have been a bit much for me. And I was seated next to a very pleasant young lady named Krista, whom I chatted with during the intermission. Of course, I wrote down the address for "We, The Infected" and gave it to her, having told her about our previous Scene With Love effort. She seemed duly impressed. :D

Considering the relatively small stage and Spartan props, I have to say I was impressed with how the action flowed along. It sort of reminded me of "Our Town," were the audience is encouraged to essentially join in the performance by mentally filling in the blanks, so to speak. With LTROI, the only constants onstage were the tree trunks (real trees, by the way), the jungle gym and lots of fake snow. Otherwise, props are moved on and off as required. You might not think that a sofa that's basically in the middle of a forest wouldn't serve as a living room, but the cast makes it work and work well. A bedroom, a candy shop, a locker room...all appear and disappear as if by magic, without missing a beat. That's how good the performers are.

Rebecca Benson was mesmerizing as Eli (pronounced E-Lie...a fact that had Krista next to me saying at the beginning of intermission, "E-Lee...it's E-Lee, not E-Lie"; I agreed with her and we started chatting). Speaking in a stilted, almost robotic, voice, pale and disheveled, Rebecca's Eli seemed like a waif who just arrived from another world. And like the Eli we've all come to know, she was at times funny, scary and sad. Cristian Ortega, as Oskar, was equally up to the mark. The two complimented each other superbly. (A quick note: Rebecca and Cristian, it turns out, first got to know each other doing theater at the Drama Studio for kids in Edinburgh, Scotland, when they were about eight-years-old; how kewl is that?)

It was a memorable evening all around. Just meeting three of my fellow Infected would have been worth the trip, as would have seeing the play. Together, as Don has said, this was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime event. I wish more of the Infected could have been there. As it is, it's a pleasure to share the experience here at "We, The Infected."

Oh, by the way: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Care package from Night.

Same care package, plus some fake snow I Bogarted from the stage on the way out. :twisted:

Just inside of St. Ann's Warehouse.

Don, Night, abner, N.R.

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 am

Oh, I forgot to mention something that I found particularly noteworthy. Towards the end of the play, for the climax at the pool, the jungle gym rotates onstage. The back of this prop then serves as a stand-in for the pool. The prop has a Plexiglas chamber that fills with about 500 gallons of real water, while the actors are performing and getting ready for Oskar's near-drowning scene. The water is pumped into the chamber using a powerful pump with two output nozzles. The chamber fills in about a minute, maybe a minute and a half, I kid you not. It seems almost like an optical illusion, the tank fills that fast. It's impressive from an engineering standpoint. Well, I was impressed anyway. LOL

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the tank is drained after the show using a looong flexible hose that's run out the front door and the water is poured into the drain at the curb. (The benefits of dawdling after a show and asking questions. ;) )

the_value_of_x

Post by the_value_of_x » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 pm

I saw this last night and it was great! The actors were all fantastic and any concerns about quality were dispelled in the opening sequences. Of course they couldn't include everything, but in my opinion they made it work overall.

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
~Kurt Vonnegut

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it was great. :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:36 am

the_value_of_x wrote:I saw this last night and it was great! The actors were all fantastic and any concerns about quality were dispelled in the opening sequences. Of course they couldn't include everything, but in my opinion they made it work overall.
Are...are...you...Eli? I think if I had seen you in the audience, I would have slipped out quietly, got the first taxi, and fled to my hotel. Followed by a quick dash to the airport. But if you had looked directly at me with those Eli eyes, I would have been petrified -- an easy kill! :shock:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 am

the_value_of_x wrote:I saw this last night and it was great! The actors were all fantastic and any concerns about quality were dispelled in the opening sequences. Of course they couldn't include everything, but in my opinion they made it work overall.
Hurray to you!! Fantastic that you got there. Write it all into your diary :D

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:35 am

Nightrider.... you have to tell us what you thought of the play. Please. Please. Just a few words? Bananas, I have bananas...

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”