LET THE RIGHT ONE IN on NEW YORK STAGE!

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
abner_mohl

Re: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN on NEW YORK STAGE!

Post by abner_mohl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:13 am

Looking good. :)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:51 am

Nightrider wrote:Image

Here's the first image of the principal cast members from US stage version of Let The Right One In.
Rebecca Benson and Cristian Ortega as Eli and Oskar.

PHOTOGRAPH BY GARETH MCCONNELL
Oh yes! Yes! Yes! This is the whole of page 6 of the January 26 edition of The New Yorker. Nice way to break out of the relative obscurity of this "cult classic." (It isn't a freaking cult classic, just a classic.)

Woo hoo! Can't wait to meet Nightrider, abner_mohl, and N.R. Gasan at the theater on February 8!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gymmy64

Post by gymmy64 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Just got an e-mail that the play has been extended to March 8 by popular demand. Great news for me, February was impossible, so I was going to attend this Saturday. I think that I'll switch to a March date and get better seats. :)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 pm

gymmy64 wrote:Just got an e-mail that the play has been extended to March 8 by popular demand. Great news for me, February was impossible, so I was going to attend this Saturday. I think that I'll switch to a March date and get better seats. :)
Yes, better seats and better weather (probably). Even though the "Feb Four" bought tickets early, the best seats were evaporating even as we were ordering.

I'm glad it's being extended. With that kind of attention, perhaps another theater will want it right away. I know PeteMork is eager for a west coast production. Plenty of us in the East would love to see it land in Atlanta for a while.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:14 am

This just in (from abner_mohl):

Edinburgh stage stars win glittering reviews in New York with performance as vampire lovers

13:22, 29 January 2015
By Paul English

CRISTIAN Ortega and Rebecca Benson became childhood friends when they met at after-school drama classes. Now the pair are celebrating becoming the toast of New York playing lovers in vampire story Let the Right One In.

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:52 am

Some more info on the play's 2 week extension at Variety.com:

Stage Version of ‘Let the Right One In’ Extends Its Reach at St. Ann’s
http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/let- ... 201417452/
Propelled by strong audience demand and enthusiastic reviews, the stage adaptation of cult vampire tale “Let the Right One In” has extended its New York run by three weeks — and in doing so, takes one step closer to becoming the latest edgy show to use a run at Brooklyn’s St. Ann’s Warehouse as a launchpad for future life.

In the last decade or so, longtime Brooklyn arts presenter St. Ann’s has carved out a buzzy, downtown niche as a go-to stop for live theater’s equivalent of international arthouse fare, creating a New York spotlight that has jump-started further runs around the U.S. and on Broadway.

St. Ann’s 2007 run of “Black Watch,” the National Theater of Scotland’s look at the Iraq War through the eyes of a Scottish Army regiment, earned the kind of credibility-establishing reviews that not only cemented the reputation of the relatively young NTS but also turned theater-industry heads toward St. Ann’s and the work it programs. “Black Watch” went on to tour the U.S. and played two more runs at St. Ann’s in the process. When a 2009 engagement of “Brief Encounter,” from the U.K.’s Kneehigh Theater, transferred to Broadway, the move confirmed St. Ann’s as a place the theater business should keep an eye on.

Despite a snowstorm, a recent Brooklyn performance of NTS’ “Let the Right One In” played to a full house that included theater executives, agents and creatives, all there to see if the latest show at the venue has legs.

The creatives behind the production, which bowed in the Scottish town of Dundee and subsequently transferred to the West End, were there for the same reason.

“We’re in an interim stage with the show right now,” said Neil Murray, the exec producer of NTS. “This gives us a chance to see whether there’s an appetite for it here.”

For the commercial producer who developed the production, Marla Rubin, St. Ann’s seemed the most viable place in New York to test the waters for the property’s future life, whether that’s a tour around the country to other presenters (such as Arts Emerson or L.A.’s Redcat) or a commercial run on Broadway.

“St. Ann’s is like a rare harbor in that they are so deeply tuned into challenging and cutting-edge material, and they’re also so nurturing in helping you reconvene your show across the pond,” Rubin said.

That nurturing tends to include financing pooled from sources beyond St. Ann’s relatively small $4 million annual operating budget. “We often partner with the company themselves or the foreign government,” said St. Ann’s artistic director Susan Feldman. “We always cobble together a box office guarantee and subsidy.”

Part of what distinguishes the DUMBO company, now housed in a temporary venue prior to the completion of its new facility in the old Tobacco Warehouse, is the big, flexible space that allows for both a certain intimacy — St. Ann’s shows usually seat between 250 and 350, depending on the configuration — as well as a wide-angle scale that, in the case of “Let the Right One In,” allows for a forest of birch trees and ample water and blood.

Feldman sees a common creative thread in the programming’s shared auteur sensibility and strong visual and musical components. (“Let the Right One In” has a score drawn from the work of Olafur Arnalds, whose work is also heard in “The Hunger Games” films and “Broadchurch,” and an evocative birches-in-the-snow set by Broadway veteran Christine Jones.)

“There’s a bit of the outsider in the work we do, and we’re a bit of an outsider, too,” Feldman said.

The story of a bullied kid and his relationship with a youthful vampire (based on a novel and the two cult-favorite films it inspired), “Let the Right One In” is part of a St. Ann’s season that has included a Polish production of Sarah Kane’s “4:48 Psychosis,” Kneehigh Theater’s “Tristan and Yseult,” and, later this spring, a run of two shows by venerable experimental theater troupe the Wooster Group.

The Wooster Group’s stop at St. Ann’s is the latest for shows that have already played Singapore and California, and “Tristan and Yseult” is part of a U.S. tour for the production. Whether “Let the Right One In,” now running through March 8 at St. Ann’s, will follow “Tristan” out onto the road — or embarks across the river to midtown — remains to be see

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:00 pm

I've been consistently pushing the play on IMDb (LTROI discussion board).

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:53 am

Hilton Als reviews the play in the February 9th issue of the New Yorker. Als clearly loves the film. Als writes, "[Tomas Alfredson's] perfect 2008 adaptation of the book -- a master class on how to render atmosphere in cinema -- turns up the dial on natural sounds." Als' long(ish) review is a tour of the contrasts between the film and the play. Another keeper.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:57 am

GUYYYYYYSSSSS, you have to let us know how it went. It's midnight on the east coast so the play must be over by now for the evening. How was the performance? Did you get to meet anyone? Please, let us know! :intently stares at screen waiting for a reply:

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:22 am

All went well. One word review for the play: AWESOME!! I hate to say it, but Lina is now longer the definitive Eli, she now shares the title with the remarkable Rebecca Benson, who came up with a wonderfully fresh new perspective on Eli. Rest of the cast was great too. Right now the rest of our company is now on their way home. I happen to live near the city, henceforth my early posting ahead of our quartet.
Last edited by abner_mohl on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”