LTROI play on film????

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
gary13136

LTROI play on film????

Post by gary13136 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:37 pm

With all of the LTROI plays that have been done, I wonder if anyone has thought to film one (assuming it can be done legally, of course). It would be great to see one; perhaps the only chance most of us would ever have. After all, some plays do get filmed. ;)
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

Daniel Ether

Re: LTROI play on film????

Post by Daniel Ether » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 pm

What i can remeber a few years ago there was a "Frankenstein" stageplay at the National theater with Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. It was writen or directed (or both) by Danny Boyle. The special thing was that one evening Cumberbatch played the role of the monster and Miller the part of the doctor and the other evening it was the other way round. it was filmed and its now playing still in various Cinemas. One of the last showing was in Hamburg in the Savoy-movietheater. it was last year in october-november and of course i failed to get cards :evil:
hmmm... :think: i dont know but i think that would be a cool solution.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:48 am

That would be fantastic. It's true that some theaters do film certain performances for posterity or for actual transmission on TV shows, CCT etc.. However, being that LTROI could be considered a lucrative property, video rights of any type would have to have been agreed on long before the stage play was performed by NTS. Possibly that decision was made by Marla Rubin Productions Ltd. who owns stage rights to LTROI.
It would be up to them, especially since MRP has an extensive history in working with television projects including things for HBO, CBS, PBS etc.

http://www.theatrecraft.org/leaders/marla-rubin/
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:55 pm

After giving it some thought, I'm inclined to think that one or more of the performances were in fact filmed. At the same time, I would think that any films would just be for purposes of future reference. The director, for instance, might have it filmed in order to notice any flaws or scenes that might be improved on.

A film of a rehearsal might even be funny. :D
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Not a film of the play, but a pretty cool trailer for the NTS production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cypLnwDajE

And here's a charming excerpt from a review:

Buenos Aires Herald 9/2/2014 (excerpt)

I’m allergic to vampire stories, perhaps owing to the bottom-draw badness of the Broadway musical versions of Dracula and Lestat, both of which gave me nightmares, for all the wrong reasons. So I did not walk into the Apollo Theatre on tourist-inundated Shaftesbury Avenue brimming with hope for Let the Right One In, the tale of a bullied teenager who develops an obsessive crush on a bloodsucker. But directed by the ridiculously gifted John Tiffany — Black Watch, the Tony-winning musical Once and last season’s The Glass Menagerie with Cherry Jones were all his handiwork — the play is seriously unnerving, the most harrowing bit of chiller theatre since Martin McDonagh’s The Pillowman.

Shows you how important it is to keep an open mind. Because the spectrally ravishing Let the Right One In — based on a 2008 Swedish movie of the same title — is itself mind-blowing. Set in a spooky forest of set designer Christine Jones’s devising, the play follows the travails of Oskar (a superb Martin Quinn), a withdrawn lad who’s at the mercy of the school bullies until he meets the strange yet entrancing Eli (sublimely otherworldly Rebecca Benson). We quickly discover the graphic murders occurring in the woods are thoroughly explicable crimes: Eli’s gotta eat. Or rather, drink.

This may not sound as if it’s entertainment for the squeamish, but the shrewdness of Jack Thorne’s script, aided by Tiffany’s Hitchcockian suspense-building and the eerily evocative movement by associate director Steven Hoggett, prevents Let the Right One In from descending into schlocky horror. What it capitalizes on instead is that more poignant horror, the helpless isolation of the persecuted. It’s why the power of Let the Right One In owes more to sorrowful tidings than shocking ones.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”