Book edition

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
dongregg

Re: Book edition

Post by dongregg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:06 pm

CyberGhostface wrote:Just found this on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Right-John-Aj ... 1848423748
Just pre-ordered it from Amazon, September shipment projected.

Thanks!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:54 am

dongregg wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote:Just found this on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Let-Right-John-Aj ... 1848423748
Just pre-ordered it from Amazon, September shipment projected.

Thanks!
But in fact it came today (8/22). So glad to get it!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:20 pm

dongregg wrote:...But in fact it came today (8/22). So glad to get it!
Yes! Mine came in yesterday.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 am

dongregg wrote:Just pre-ordered it from Amazon, September shipment projected.

But in fact it came today (8/22). So glad to get it!
I've read through it once, visualizing the action based on images many have posted on the forum and based, too, on the ample stage directions. The action seems to be bam bam bam!, which I like. Good theatre, I imagine. (Fortunately, I was spared having to visualize the interpretive dance sections. We have interpretive dance groups in town, and I have been coerced into watching a few performances.) One reason I enjoy reading plays is because, late in life, I've learned to visualize literature, as though a poem or story were a film. Yes, even poetry, with swooping panoramic shots, close ups, fades...

Well, I'll be able to read the play a few more times before my book goes on the shelf. Even though it's playing in London, tonight I'm going to read it with a strong Scottish accent. Because I have twice been to the Edinburgh Festival (especially the Fringe), I'm used to actors in otherwise familiar plays sounding like Scotty--"Ah need muer poower, Cahptain" and "There are muer things in heaven and airth, Horatio..." Trilled R's, of course.

Eeek-I just realized the last performance was tonight (or maybe yester-night).

Surely it will come to America at some point.

Does anyone have access to how the attendance numbers looked at the Apollo? Nightrider? I know you're in with the producers, right?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Okay, I quickly tired of the Scottish accent. Fun for a few pages. But I made a careful read through again. There's a lot to it, but now I want to see it. I hope it finds a US producer.

Meanwhile, I'd still like to know whether it filled all of the seats in the Apollo. Anyone?

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:32 am

Still delving into Jack Thorne's play.. Still haven't moved the book to my shelf. I especially like that Eli and Oskar are presented consistently as kids. And I really, really want to see this production in the US. Same actors of course.

gary13136

Post by gary13136 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:17 pm

I read this recently in the Kindle edition. There were some similarities and some differences. But having read scripts for other movies in the past, it seems that the movie (or in this case, the play) is usually better than the script. I would really like to see the play. Maybe some day it will be put on here in the USA (fingers crossed).
One example of democracy in action is 5 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.--Anonymous

Hassildor

Post by Hassildor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:04 am

gary13136 wrote:I would really like to see the play. Maybe some day it will be put on here in the USA (fingers crossed).
I'll second that. I'd love to see any live production of LTROI that didn't completely butcher the source material, and this play read like a really interesting and excellent hybrid of the book and film.

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:33 pm

Just curious: has there been any buzz or discussion about any of the other adaptations being published? In their languages, obviously, but still.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”