About the play

For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
johnajvide

About the play

Post by johnajvide » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Just back from Scotland after three days of walking in the area around Loch Lomond. The last day we went to Dundee to see the play.
It is a beautiful show, jam-packed with clever solutions. The pool scene in the end is (literally) breath-taking. A few scenes are even really scary. Eli killing the policeman had my heart pounding.
A fun thin is that the play is a conglomerate of the two different movies, the book and quite a few additions. Oscars mum is an alcoholic, Eli wears a Kiss-t-shirt, the bullying takes place in a locker room (American movie) The pool scene, Eli bleeding and the scenes in the courtyard are obviously inspired by the swedish movie. Scenes from the Lovers kiosk ("Banaaanas") and a few others are from the book, and a lot of dialogue between Oskar and his mother are new. Among other things.
Some emotional darkness and character development has been cut out in order to make things flow. Probably this was the right decision, judging from the reviews, but that was the only thing that was missing, in my personal opinion. It is, above all, a show.
But, with that said, a great show it is. The music, the lightning (is that the word?), the choreography, the actors. I couldn´t imagine that this story could lend itself to such a scenic extravaganza. If any of you get the chance to see it, do it.
And, oh, I read about your thing with buying tickets and then letting young people in Dundee have the seats. If I dare call you my fan base, I must have the loveliest fan base of all writers. The people at the theatre were quite impressed by this initiative (They were also really, really nice people, by the way).
Take care, you all.

gkmoberg1

Re: About the play

Post by gkmoberg1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for all this John! It has been hugely exciting that NTS has put on this show in Dundee. We've climbed through the Reviews and related media trying our best - vicariously - to experience it (which of course falls pitifully short of being there). Agreed - they all seem very nice people, absolutely. They've shared so much with us.

( Ha, we can say now that at least one member of this [hugely international] forum has made it to Dundee for the show! :wub: )

Did you get any photos? Could you share with us?

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 pm

And not ust any member with that!
I would love to see it, I can't like most of us. UGGH..
Glad to know your thoughts about it John! :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm getting that warm 'n fuzzy feeling inside. Thank you so much for this post, and of course we are very pleased to honor you and your work.

EEA

Post by EEA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Cool. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the play. ;)

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:29 am

Great review! Thanks.

Hope they go on the road with this and it plays at a theater near me. :)

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 pm

johnajvide wrote:If I dare call you my fan base, I must have the loveliest fan base of all writers.
Your fan base we are, John...at least part of it. You have fans all over the world -- online and off -- and deservedly so. Thanks, as always, for your kind words, and for stopping by to give us your impression of the production. If you give it a thumbs-up, then that's the best endorsement any production can have, that of the author whose work gave rise to it.

Opeth

Post by Opeth » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:15 am

The way the climax at the pool has been described sure does sound heart-stopping. Yes! One of us made it there! I'm glad you really enjoyed yourself, thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Oo, so no Lacke. I thought it might have been the other way around.

jcckidz

Post by jcckidz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 am

johnajvide wrote:the lightning (is that the word?)
Close, Lighting. Lightning is what flashes in the sky during a storm. I'm so glad you posted this as I've been very interested in hearing more about how our favorite story feels on stage...and who better to hear it from? :D

Also, this topic should be one of the special ones that is always at the top and has the lightbulb shape (instead of just a circle) to the left.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”