For discussion of live productions of Let The Right One In
gkmoberg1

Re: LTROI - Berkeley Repertory Theatre (Berkeley, California) - May/June 2023

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:55 am

PeteMork wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:44 pm
gkmoberg1 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:06 am
@PeteMork, can you say anything about the audience reception? Were they familiar with the story? Any Eli or Oskar fans?
Most of the audience behind and beside us were familiar with the original film, based on what we overheard. The family in front of us with several teenagers had no idea what it was about, but the kids (mostly girls) loved the love story as it unfolded. The meeting with staff afterwards was disappointing. because most had seen the American version and bought into the 'grooming' theory. Most disappointing of all, the staff made no attempt to dissuade them of that (IMO) ridiculous idea, at least with regards to the original film. Also, although it was a small group of around 30 or so, staff didn't repeat the questions individuals asked so it was hard to understand what was being talked about.
In rethinking the whole idea of Hakan being with Eli since he was twelve, I noticed that in this production, Eli was actually devastated by his death, much more so than in the film. In that case, I can see an interpretation where poor Eli has found true love, and lost it, many times. A much better interpretation than the grooming theory, but I still prefer believing Oskar was the first and last love of Eli's life.
I had not thought of Let Me In making an entry here on how the audience might have come with any of the LTROI story in hand. But it makes perfect sense. And so then their willingness to agree with the grooming theory.

As for whether Oskar would be Eli's first and last love, I have to agree with your sentiment. As novel Eli says to Oskar:

"This sounds a bit ... but ..." the corners of Eli's mouth twitched, "... I haven't had a ... normal friendship with anyone in two hundred years."
He looked at Oskar with a sorry-I'm-saying-such-silly-things smile.

»Det här låter ju ... men ...«, det ryckte till i Elis mungipor »... jag har inte haft nån ... vanlig vän på två hundra är.«
Han såg på Oskar med ett ursäktra-att-jag-säger-så-fåniga-saker-leende.

Which would not be true if it were that Eli had had a significant friendship earlier.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:21 am

The Mercury News
'Young love blooms among carnage in Berkeley Rep’s compelling ‘Let the Right One In’' / 2023-05-26
by Karen D'Souza, Correspondent
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/05/26/ ... ht-one-in/

Eli may look fragile, a pale waif, but Lamanna imbues the ambiguous character with a feral intensity that makes you flinch, but not look away. There’s something so radiantly alive about Ely, beaming with childlike glee even while prowling through the gloom.
Karen D'Souza wrote: In a universe where the adults shuffle about like zombies, dead to the pain in their midst, Eli throbs with tenderness, even joy. The bond between Oskar and Ely [sic] radiates with light and heat.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:26 am

Theatre Eddys / 'San Francisco Bay Area Theater Reviews'
'Let The Right One In' / 2023-05-25
by Eddie Reynolds
https://theatreeddys.com/2023/05/let-th ... ne-in.html
Eddie Reynolds wrote:Diego Lucano and Noah Lamanna are each stunningly brilliant in their performances of Oskar and Eli, respectively. Their dialogs are the kind of natural, matter-of-fact things any twelve-year-olds might say to each other; but the real beauty comes in the pauses, the silences of just being and playing together.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 am

Stage and Cinema
'LET THE RIGHT PLAY FILL YOU WITH HORROR'/ 2023-05-27
by Chuck Louden
https://stageandcinema.com/2023/05/27/l ... keley-rep/
Chuck Louden wrote:The entire ensemble works well with several individuals playing multiple roles. Shows involving actors as adolescents don’t work if we don’t believe the performers playing them. Both Diego Lucano as the emotionally and physically tortured Oskar and Noah Lamanna and Gabby Policano as both victim and predator, Eli, give emotionally strong performances. Jeremy Chernicks‘ special effects andh Christine Jones‘s scenic designs set the sinister tone that helps keep the audience in suspense. The swimming pool set for a final act of torture, in particular, will have people gasping in their seats. John Tiffany’s direction, including choreographing the actors moving through their scenes in the forest, helps the suspense to build.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Play)”