Newbie Needs New Novel

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Himmelstrand
natasharm

Newbie Needs New Novel

Post by natasharm » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello! I am dying to get my hands on Himmelstrand and am willing to tackle it in any language. Could someone please suggest how an Arkansan can order this book in any form? Swedish, German, French, Russian...?

Thanks thanks thanks

Natasharm
Be nice to the archivist, or she will erase you from history ~anonymous

dongregg

Re: Newbie Needs New Novel

Post by dongregg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi, natasharm. Welcome to the forum. Your language skills fit right in here. I hope you get an answer to your question, and I hope you jump in start enjoying the wonderful posts, stories, art, and who knows what all. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:18 am

natasharm wrote:Hello! I am dying to get my hands on Himmelstrand and am willing to tackle it in any language. Could someone please suggest how an Arkansan can order this book in any form? Swedish, German, French, Russian...?
I suggest you contact John Ajvide Lindqvist's Swedish publisher. They might be able to tell you about translations.
http://ordfrontforlag.se/contact

About purchasing a Swedish copy, there are several Swedish Internet bookstores. You haven't revealed where you live - unfortunately, they don't sell to the USA, because of bad experiences with the US customs. But if you live elsewhere, you might have better luck with them.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

natasharm

Post by natasharm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Thank you dongregg for the kind welcome and metoo for ordering info. Unfortunately I just moved to Arkansas and am even more stuck without bookstores than anywhere else I have lived. I look forward to keeping up with the news. Glad to see that Let the Right One In is going to be a mini series (?)

Natasharm

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:58 pm

natasharm wrote:Thank you dongregg for the kind welcome and metoo for ordering info. Unfortunately I just moved to Arkansas and am even more stuck without bookstores than anywhere else I have lived. I look forward to keeping up with the news. Glad to see that Let the Right One In is going to be a mini series (?)

Natasharm
Oh, natasharm. I shuddered when I read that about the bookstores. It implies the area may be culturally challenged in other ways, too.

It will probably please you to know that there are others on the forum who speak your assortment of languages. Clubmeister lives in Kiev and writes in Russian. I suspect our very active member in Texas is a crypto-russophone also. Certains d'entre nous parlent français, and we have a bunch of members who speak German (native or second language).

But by rule we do everything on the forum in English, including the cool fan fictions.

When language comes up in conversation, I'm quick to point out that I'm studying Swedish. If the person asks, "Why Swedish?" I reply, "There's this film, you see..." And I'm off to the races about Eli and Oskar. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

natasharm

Post by natasharm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:38 pm

I understand Why Swedish as well! The move Insomnia (international not Robin Williams) has given me the inspiration to learn "a scando" language. but I choose Finnish because it is nothing like anything I have ever known. I have discovered that Swedish is somewhat easier for me. I am dying for new literature and now that I am in the SOUTH it seems even more daunting. Always up for recommendations on good Scandos to read :)

Natasharm

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:11 pm

natasharm wrote:I understand Why Swedish as well! The move Insomnia (international not Robin Williams) has given me the inspiration to learn "a scando" language. but I choose finish because it is nothing like anything I have ever known. I have discovered that Swedish is somewhat easier for me. I am dying for new literature and now that I am in the SOUTH it seems even more daunting. Always up for recommendations on good Scandos to read :)

Natasharm
Okay, then, Finnish, is it? That makes my studying Swedish seem downright mainstream by comparison. By the way, I have a Swedish to English spreadsheet of the whole LTROI script. Seems like a smart way to start learning Swedish. Alas, although the spreadsheet is complete, it contains some things I'm not sure of. And I believe it contains things I am sure of that are wrong, just wrong. I and a couple of other forum members are slowly polishing it.

By the way, I am a subscriber to Adlibris book news. Even though they don't ship to the U.S., I can read about the latest Scando books as well as practice reading Swedish. http://www.adlibris.com/se

natasharm

Post by natasharm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Finnish is TOTALLY a work in progress. But my German brain lets me figure out other languages when I am WAY TOO TIRED to think in English. I would be happy to be practice/learn Swedish in that manner and am very excited to find out about the website. I get addicted way to fast to Scando-mysteries and I consider reading them in whatever I can get my hands on "pleasure" as opposed to work. Looking immensely forward to explore this website and meeting other like minds :mrgreen:

Natasharm

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Welcome home Natasharm...We're so glad you found us.
When you get a chance take a look at our Facebook page. It's fun.
Vitaly.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

thecube

Post by thecube » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 am

It is listed on http://www.amazon.de Release date is 15 May 2015.

Return to “I Am Behind You”