Reviews

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Himmelstrand
metoo

Re: Reviews

Post by metoo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:53 pm

StefL wrote: Interestingly I was at a 50's style hamburger restaurant North of Karlstad a few days ago and next to our table was a movie poster for The Man from Laramie starring James Stewart
That was a coincidence, wasn't it? :-D

I believe it wouldn't spoil Himmelstrand very much for our forum friends if we reveal that James Stewart (sort of) appears in the novel.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

StefL

Post by StefL » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:44 pm

metoo wrote:
StefL wrote: Interestingly I was at a 50's style hamburger restaurant North of Karlstad a few days ago and next to our table was a movie poster for The Man from Laramie starring James Stewart
That was a coincidence, wasn't it? :-D

I believe it wouldn't spoil Himmelstrand very much for our forum friends if we reveal that James Stewart (sort of) appears in the novel.
No that was my thought as well, which was I didn't tag the entry with spoiler.
I thought I was kind of late reading Himmelstrand - but since it hasn't been published in English yet I guess I'm still early as far as this forum is considered. I expect the calmness of this section to change towards the coming summer :D

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:40 am

They compare JAL's work to Stephen King. This time I agree, and not in a good way. Sorry JAL. I found it way too abstract, and felt nothing for the characters. Everything was so jumbled up and random that you had no time to relate to anyone. It had its moments, but didn't come close to keeping my interest like his previous novels. Looking back, it could be the translation that made it come off this way. I noticed a few mistakes and metoo confirmed what I thought was wrong. Maybe the UK/US version has a better translator. I read the Australian version, and I know it's not the same person as the rest that I read.

Return to “I Am Behind You”