News from John

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Himmelstrand
metoo

News from John

Post by metoo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Today, John Ajvide Lindqvist posted a new item on his blog. It's of course in Swedish, but I have translated it (with some help from Google Translate) for those who find that fact inconvenient. I also made a few words into links, for those who would otherwise not know what John is talking about. ;)
Yesterday I was at a meeting with Pelle and Jan-Erik from Ordfront to talk about Himmelstrand. They liked it. Felt really good about it. Today I talked with TT who would write a note about the book which is due out in the fall, probably in October.
It is by far the trickiest book I've written, in every sense of the word. I have nearly 400 pages of notes just where I try to understand what it is I'm doing, immense numbers of ideas and possible story threads that have been weeded out along the way.
It took me for example half a year of writing before I realized that the original fourteen people in five caravans were simply too many. I started over again with only four caravans and ten people. And a dog and a cat.
It's about going out to get into, as Winnerbäck says. The ten people wake up one morning and find that they somehow have been moved from the camping ground where they stood the night before to a field with short grass that stretches as far as the eye can see in all directions.
The plot then consists of a scampering between these people's (and the dog's!) minds as they try to adapt and understand. When they eventually move out into the field, it turns out that things are happening to them, they are confronted with layers of themselves, images from their past that they have tried to bury rise to the surface and become real. It's pretty nasty. And a little fun here and there.
The book's core is thus ten portraits and I hope everyone will be as delighted as I am about Lennart and Olof ("Remember the old Center leaders," as they say), two middle-aged dairy farmers camping together, the former soccer pro Peter, the photo model Isabelle, the U.S. devotee Donald and a few others. Benny the dog, of course.
It is four years since I published the novel Little Star and I look forward to riding the carousel again. For a while it was a bit much, but now it will be fun. There will be interviews and appearances and the book fair and we might meet at some book signing.
Last edited by metoo on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

a_contemplative_life

Re: News from John

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 pm

Yay! :D

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 am

Here we go...

http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 pm

There will be interviews and appearances and the book fair and we might meet at some book signing.
If only he would go on a promo tour of the US... :cry:

I wonder if I could get on the interview list... :think:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:44 am

Wolfchild wrote:
There will be interviews and appearances and the book fair and we might meet at some book signing.

That would be my dream, to do a book tour near where I live.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

danielma

Post by danielma » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Wolfchild wrote:

You could always fly out to Sweeden and interview him there :) Granted, if your financial situation allowed it that is to say.

Now begins the long agonising wait for the book to be translated into English I guess :(
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “I Am Behind You”