Olaf and Lennart

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel Himmelstrand
Serendipitous

Olaf and Lennart

Post by Serendipitous » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:22 am

Did anyone else just absolutely adore these two?? They're so idyllic and every time they crossed the page I grinned ear to ear.

Part of me feels this was intentional? They were perhaps my largest source of comfort in the alien inhuman landscape JAL wrote. I felt like he came back to these two and maybe the dog/cat perspective to sort of diffuse tension and suspense appropriately for the reader. Sort of bring the vibe back down a little.

Not sure, good book though. Read it in the throes of covid fever while on nightshift which gave it a um... particular flavor.

Siggdalos

Re: Olaf and Lennart

Post by Siggdalos » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:03 pm

It's been some time since I read it, but I agree, Olof and Lennart are one of my favorite JAL couples. The scene where they finally tell each other Jag älskar dig made me tear up the first time I read it. (But then, I'm often very sentimental when it comes to that kind of scene.)

Have you read the other two parts of the trilogy? I Am the Tiger is IMO the best one out of the three.
De höll om varandra i tystnad. Oskar blundade och visste: detta var det största. Ljuset från lyktan i portvalvet trängde svagt in genom hans slutna ögonlock, la en hinna av rött för hans ögon. Det största.

Serendipitous

Re: Olaf and Lennart

Post by Serendipitous » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:49 pm

Siggdalos wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:03 pm
Have you read the other two parts of the trilogy? I Am the Tiger is IMO the best one out of the three.
Not yet! I have the second on my shelf, but I need to read Moby Dick for a friend first, so she'll in turn read LTROI and become infected. Haha

Afterwards I'm picking the trilogy back up.

Return to “I Am Behind You”