Translation

Postby Drakeule » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:50 am

Was it actually a shotgun that Donald had In the swedish version? They way it was discribed in the Australian version didn’t seem right. Unless he was using slugs and a scope.
Drakeule

Re: Translation

Postby metoo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:01 am

Drakeule wrote:Was it actually a shotgun that Donald had In the swedish version? They way it was discribed in the Australian version didn’t seem right. Unless he was using slugs and a scope.

The word used in the Swedish original is "gevär", which by itself just means a gun with a long barrel, i.e. a rifle or a shotgun. However, the term I believe is mostly used for rifles - had it been a shotgun the text would have said so, i.e. "hagelgevär" or "hagelbössa".

Furthermore, this passage suggests a rifle: "the bullet passes through the rear window and the back seat before it punches a hole into the glove compartment".

Also, the gun has a scope, which reinforces the impression of a rifle.

Thirdly, this passage definitively suggests a rifle:
"När han är nere på marken gör han en mantelrörelse och för in en kula i loppet, ..."
"When he is down at the ground he operates the bolt and gets a bullet in position, ..." My bad translation, I don't know the terminology in English...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist
metoo

Postby Drakeule » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:26 am

Thanks, metoo. The translator did seem to mess a few things up. Pretty bad if I noticed. Don't think they were too familiar with English terms.
Drakeule

Postby StefL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Drakeule wrote:Thanks, metoo. The translator did seem to mess a few things up. Pretty bad if I noticed. Don't think they were too familiar with English terms.

I thought I general rule was that you always translate into your mother tongue?
Not that it keeps translators into Swedish from messing up - I've seen numerous cases of words and expressions from my professional field (science) being messed up. Classical examples are for instance the metal "tungsten", which happens to be a word of Swedish origin meaning "heavy stone" but which is called wolfram in Swedish, and lazy translators not realizing that sodium is called natrium in Swedish...
StefL