TTSS: Boris and Tarr (spoilers)

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Murphypacker

TTSS: Boris and Tarr (spoilers)

Post by Murphypacker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

This is my third reading of the novel TTSS since it first came out. It has been many, many years since the second reading. I hated the Oldman movie. There was not enough time to tell such a complex story; Oldman is nothing like Smiley (Guinness was superb). I am enjoying my third reading more than the other two: the more completely one understands all the plot elements, of course, the greater the enjoyment of a really good spy story.

Now, I am having trouble with something I'd like to understand. Riki Tarr has been sent by the Circus to do something concerning a Soviet, Boris, who is in Hong Kong with a trade delegation. Riki does not know Boris is a professional spy. Why do I think that? Because as soon as Riki is convinced Boris is a professional spy, he goes off the case, as dealing with Soviet professional spies is above his pay grade and he knows it.

OK, so far so good. Now, he is supposed to 'turn' Boris by assignment and bring him back to London. It is stated Riki carries two Swiss passports, ''one for himself and one for Boris'. Turn him into what? A Circus functionary of some sort, presumably. Why Boris, the member of the textile trade commission? I can't find a clue in the text.

I know there is someone out there smarter than I am. Any help would be appreciated.

Murphypacker

Re: TTSS: Boris and Tarr (spoilers)

Post by Murphypacker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 am

When I wrote this post I had trouble reading it as I had my eyes dilated for eye exam. Reading it properly, I see it leaves a lot of what was in my head unsaid, as did the Tomas/Oldman version of TTSS.

OK, Riki Tarr travels to Hong Kong on Circus assignment, with two return passports, one for himself and one for Boris. He doesn't know until he has reconnoitered Boris for several days that Boris is a professional spy. When he decides that is what Boris is, he goes off the case, as he considers turning a professional Soviet spy above his pay grade. He is afraid to get into trouble.

If it was not known that Boris was a professional spy, why was he singled out for turning by Riki Tarr? Who did Circus think he was? Why him?

Chewing on the text again, I come to the conclusion that the local reporters to the Circus, in Hong Kong, thought this Soviet trade delegation guy looked like he might be considering defecting because he was hitting the bars every night. Silly season, nothing better to do, Peter sends Tarr to check it out. Considering the earth-shattering outcome of this trip to Hong Kong, it almost seems a bit much of a coincidence in such a good spy novel. I was wondering if I was missing something, but I guess not.

So we can close this file, unless I really am missing something, in which case let me know.

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”