BBC version of TTSS

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Nightrider

BBC version of TTSS

Post by Nightrider » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Yesterday I've received a notice from my local library that BBC's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has arrived and was ready for a pick up. Since Alfredson's movie hit the screens there has been an explosion of interest in the original miniseries. It's been exactly 3 months since I requested that elusive DVD set. I knew it was going to be a long wait, but I just had to take another look at the show that I haven't seen since the mid 80's. When I picked up the set, I made a note how well used and torn was the cover. It has seen better days, plus TTSS has been checked out a lot and for the most part people don't treat things they get at the library with kindness.
Well, I'm on the second hour and I understand completely why I waited with baited breath for every new episode that would show up on PBS channel back in the 80's. TV version is very different from the current film, but it's really two different animals. While Alfredson's film has only few hours to tell a coherent story, the TV miniseries has a luxury of time. We must be introduced to the large cast and attention must be given to smallest details just to be fair to the enormous amount of information from le Carré's novel.
So far it's great. I can remember loving the show since there was nothing even remotely compatible or interesting on American television back than....Pretty much the way it is now.
Do yourself a favor and watch this gem from BBC.... I promise that you will be pleasantly surprised. If you enjoyed Alfredson's film(and there are many of you out there) you will cherish the 324 minute version. Both adaptations greatly complement each other.
This really is a MUST SEE TV! :)
Vitaly
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”