MTV.com: Why TTSS Deserved Oscar Best Picture Nomination

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

jetboy

Re: MTV.com: Why TTSS Deserved Oscar Best Picture Nomination

Post by jetboy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I was dissapointed that it didnt get more Oscar love.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 pm

It's sad that a film that was basically panned (Incredibly Loud & Incredibly Close) got nominated for Best Picture but this and Drive, both films that received rave reviews, did not.
No banaaaanas?

danielma

Post by danielma » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:46 am

What are you going to do...that's the Oscars for you...whatever is the feel good happy happy joy joy film of the year will always be nominated (and most likely win)

Let us not forget how many times the Oscars snubbed Scorsese before finally giving him a win (for a film which whilst it was good, was nowhere near as good as Raging Bull or Goodfellas)
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Also keep in mind that the Academy Awards are first and foremost a marketing exercise. Nominations mean an increase in box office and DVD sales, and a win can double the take. The very timing of the awards show betrays its purpose: in the winter right before the time of the slowest ticket sales. Each year the Academy tries to walk the line between promoting its industry favorites as much as possible while at the same time maintaining for the public the facade that they are really about quality alone. If the marketing value, and thus the raison d'etre, of the Oscars were widely understood, that very value would disappear.

I mean, come on: War Horse? Really? Swap the director's names between TTSS and War Horse, but otherwise leave the films unchanged, and I'll bet there would more nominations for TTSS, a Best Actor win for Oldman, and perhaps a Best Picture win for TTSS, and obscurity (and no nomination at all) for War Horse.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

EEA

Post by EEA » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 pm

That is why I do not watch the Oscars anymore. Every year the nominations are upsetting. More so this year. Especially in the best actress category. It puzzles me why anyone watches the show.

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”