Finally Saw it Last Night (no spoilers)

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
danielma

Finally Saw it Last Night (no spoilers)

Post by danielma » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Well, kept to my word and attended the Sold Out Popcorn Taxi Screening/Q&A last night.

First things first, unfortunately Tomas Alfredson was not able to do his phoned in Q&A due to a family emergency. Of course, we weren't given exact details in order to respect Alfredson's privacy, but I would like to send out the best of thoughts to the Alfredson family at this time.

Now for the film itself...to be honest, I think I need to see it again so I can fully grasp it. I did understand it, and I knew what was going on...but its one of those films that I think really needs to be seen for a 2nd time to fully comprehend everything about it. I've always said that on the outset LTROI is a deceptively simple story, but with thought put into it, it becames a labyrinth just begging you to disect it and think about every facet of it. TTSS is far more of an outward labyrinth just begging you to work it all out. I guess the easiest way to describe it to an outsider who has no knowledge of it is that it is a big old game of Chess and that you are watching the pieces fall into place.

The reason I say that I need to see it again to fully grasp it is because there is so much detail that it really does beg your full attention span to keep up with it. Which I have to admit I got a little lost around the middle when the narrative skipped from time line to time line...thankfully it does make sense when the film ends but yeah I won't lie, its a film I really need to see a 2nd time to get a full grasp on it.

What strikes me about Alfredson is his impecible attention to detail. If there was one thing I always loved about LTROI it is the mood and atmosphere. It was the fact that Alfredson captured a normal, mundane and somewhat boring suberb that just was shook up by the arrival of the other. In TTSS, the atmosphere is once again captured beautifully. It's a film where you can literally smell the smoke as it has stained the environment. His set designs capture an era of yesterday so wonderfully well. It captures the stench of being encapsulated in a web of mistrust quite wonderfully. What strikes me about Alfredson is his impecible eye for detail.

It's funny because the Q&A we did get (to replace Alfredson, they got the screen writer Peter Straughn to call in and do a Q&A), Peter Straughn mentioned that in his first interview with Alfredson that Alfredson mentioned that he wanted the film to look like an old man's fore skin. Which got a nice laugh from the audience in attendance...but it did leave me thinking that for as bizarre as it is to hear a director say that, it is rather applicable to the film. It just amazes me in the eye for detail that this man has. On a pure visual level, his attention for detail is astounding.

Acting...superb from everyone involved. If Gary Oldman doesn't get a nod from the Academy then I will be sorely disapointed. Tom Hardy also delivers an excellent performance as Ricky Tarr.

At the end of the day, I thought the film was more so about lonely men so entrenched in deciet and mis trust who have the desire for emotional connections. I think in this way, it has a lot in common with LTROI.

Actually I do have one spoiler related comment to make, so I will tag it right now

Anyways, I quite enjoyed the film...like I said its one that I really do have to see for a 2nd time to get a full grasp off...once again, its another film from Alfredson that is just begging your undivided attention and doesn't talk down to its audience. I can see why this might be a turn off for some audiences...but I quite enjoyed it.
Last edited by danielma on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Nightrider

Re: Finally Saw it Last Night (no spoilers)

Post by Nightrider » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:39 pm

How did the audience react to the film?
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

danielma

Post by danielma » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Applause at the end...it seemed to go over well. People were entrenched...although in the Q&A, some did admit to what I admitted...that they really needed to see it again to grasp some of the details that they may have missed or didn't quite get. Which I understand cause when it ended, I said the exact same thing, that I need to see this again in order to fully grasp it
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 pm

That is an excellent reaction...Just as I hoped it would be. Can't wait to see it. :)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

DavidZahir

Post by DavidZahir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 pm

I would say your interpretation of that relationship was pretty "spot on."

Alfredson was on record as saying he thought of this as a story about the personal lives of soldiers fighting the Cold War.
O let my name be in the Book of Love. If it be there I care not
For that Other great Book above. Strike it out! Or write it in anew--
But let My name be in the Book of Love!
-- Omar Kayam

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”