TA Doing More LeCarre? Announcement Next Week on TTSS Sequel

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
abner_mohl

TA Doing More LeCarre? Announcement Next Week on TTSS Sequel

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Article says that Smiley maybe a new franchise for Studio Canal, an announcement will be made next week for followup movies, TA might be involved. Sigh, I only wish he could have started another film franchise chronicling the further adventures of our favorite vampire child Eli and her special friend Oskar:

Smiley's happy people
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep ... igan-cakes
Following its opening last weekend as Britain's number one film at the box office, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy looks likely to repeat the success for a second week, although Ryan Gosling's vehicles are in hot pursuit. However, the Tinker Tailor… audiences will probably remain strong for a while, meaning the public have taken to Gary Oldman's incarnation of George Smiley. I asked him last week if he was prepared to carry the role further, to which he replied it all depended on the box-office figures. "I loved playing George," he told me, "and there are of course films to be made of Le Carré's other books featuring George, with Smiley's People and The Honourable Schoolboy being the obvious ones. But I would insist on quite a few factors, such as I would really want Tomas Alfredson to direct it again." A source at StudioCanal, the new-look European production and distribution powerhouse who financed Tinker Tailor…, tells me they are keen to make Smiley their first franchise (he pops up in as many as eight Le Carré novels). I can reveal that a big announcement is expected in Paris next week - it's likely to be good news for Gary Oldman (or Barry Goldman, as I'm told wags on the set affectionately took to calling him) and for the future of the kind of classy, intelligent movies on which StudioCanal is gambling - if my intelligence is correct, of course.

DMt.

Re: TA Doing More LeCarre? Announcement Next Week on TTSS Se

Post by DMt. » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 pm

I can only pray that StudioCanal's strategy pays off, and disproves both the industry saws about 'what people really want' and the practice of testing on the lowest common denominator.

Although, to my dismay, a bright young woman of my acquaintance panned it to me, saying it was 'too slow and complicated', and that she 'got lost halfway through'.

She did say that she was expecting a conventional action thriller, though, in which case she had definitely gone to the wrong shop :lol:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Cash. :lol:

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:50 pm

At least for once an intelligent movie is making money. Something very rare these days.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 pm

abner_mohl wrote:At least for once an intelligent movie is making money. Something very rare these days.
There are many intelligent movies making money these days. :)

danielma

Post by danielma » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 am

Whilst I still haven't seen TTSS yet...and I don't really have a problem with franchises in and off themselves...but there is apart of me that would like to see Alfredson move on to other things

I'm certain that TTSS is good (if all the buzz is anything to go by)...and I'm certain that if Tomas Alfredson were involved with the follow up films then they could potentially be just as good...but at the same time, I don't necessarily want to see him get stuck within one franchise...I would like to see what else he has to offer.

I mean after all, a part of me would really like that hypothetical possible adaption of Harbour to become a reality with Alfredson involved :D But even outside of that, I would still very much like to see what Alfredson could do that isn't linked to one sole franchise or what not.
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 am

Movie franchises must be approached very carefully. Sometimes they work and sometimes they end up boring everybody to death. As usual, it all depends on how much money TTSS makes worldwide. So I'm going to wait and see before I'll bang the franchise drum. It will be a good film, but it won't be a Bourne Identity money...I have no problem with TTSS being a one shot Le Carre film...I just want to see it already. :)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

abner_mohl

Post by abner_mohl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 am

Usually a director of TA's stature will do one more movie in a new franchise and move on to bigger and better things, so maybe he'll do Smiley's People and then next Larklight, or perhaps a prestige film if TTSS wins major awards. Personally I would like for him do Larklight just to see how he is with a larger budget, which Larklight could be over 100 million dollars. Imagine the sound mix he could do with that sort of money.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm

danielma wrote:Whilst I still haven't seen TTSS yet...and I don't really have a problem with franchises in and off themselves...but there is apart of me that would like to see Alfredson move on to other things

I'm certain that TTSS is good (if all the buzz is anything to go by)...and I'm certain that if Tomas Alfredson were involved with the follow up films then they could potentially be just as good...but at the same time, I don't necessarily want to see him get stuck within one franchise...I would like to see what else he has to offer.

I mean after all, a part of me would really like that hypothetical possible adaption of Harbour to become a reality with Alfredson involved :D But even outside of that, I would still very much like to see what Alfredson could do that isn't linked to one sole franchise or what not.
I totally agree. Personally I'd much rather see TA do a film version of Harbour than another Le Carre adaptation. I thought that was nice of Gary Oldman to say that he wants to be the director if there is a franchise.
Team Eli

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:56 am

I havent seen TTSS yet but if its selling and its good I say go for it but I do hope there will be other movies inbetween like Harbour or Larklight or others. A ten year block of Smiley movies only would dissapoint me I must say.

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”