Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (or that lonely spy film)

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
danielmann861

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (or that lonely spy film)

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:12 am

https://thelongtake861.blogspot.com/202 ... py-or.html

You know, it's funny, I've still never written about LTROI, but yet, I took a stab at writing about TTSS. I want to write about LTROI some day but it's really hard to find the words when so many people have written about it better than I ever could. Oh well, here's me talking about TTSS...which I still think is an absolutely incredible film that only gets better with rewatch.

Jameron

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (or that lonely spy film)

Post by Jameron » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Well said, Daniel. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a masterpiece in subtlety, telling a story without "telling" the story. It presents itself as a spy film but it is far more than that. We shouldn't be surprised, as this came from the man who made a film that was ostensibly a Horror genre piece, but in reality was a love story.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:21 pm

Awww thank you Jameron. I went back to it recently and yeah, the film still holds up really well. It really does just get better and better with every rewatch for me. There's so many little details in it from just slight changes in body language to impressive little visual details. It's an incredible film still to this day.

Also...after three days of writing, I finally took a stab at writing about Let the Right One In

And, well, this is what I got:

https://thelongtake861.blogspot.com/202 ... ation.html

I guess I should post it on the actual LTROI side of things. This one was always really intimidating to me to write about because so many people have written about LTROI and done it so much better than I ever could, but yeah, it's something I've always wanted to write about in formal structure...I mean I've written about it here and on IMDB many times as we all know :D :D :D but yeah, this was my stab at something formal. It went from 13 pages down to 7 pages after editing and getting to the core of it so hopefully it reads well and makes some strong case or argument or point or anything.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:23 pm

danielmann861 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:21 pm
Awww thank you Jameron. I went back to it recently and yeah, the film still holds up really well. It really does just get better and better with every rewatch for me. There's so many little details in it from just slight changes in body language to impressive little visual details. It's an incredible film still to this day.

Also...after three days of writing, I finally took a stab at writing about Let the Right One In

And, well, this is what I got:

https://thelongtake861.blogspot.com/202 ... ation.html

I guess I should post it on the actual LTROI side of things. This one was always really intimidating to me to write about because so many people have written about LTROI and done it so much better than I ever could, but yeah, it's something I've always wanted to write about in formal structure...I mean I've written about it here and on IMDB many times as we all know :D :D :D but yeah, this was my stab at something formal. It went from 13 pages down to 7 pages after editing and getting to the core of it so hopefully it reads well and makes some strong case or argument or point or anything.
I think you've done an excellent job. Especially the pivotal scene that I consider the 'heart' of the film, when Eli enters Oskar's apartment uninvited:
danielmann861 wrote:She knows full well what will happen upon entry and yet she still proceeds to give Oskar that power over her anyways by entering. I would argue this is a moment of Eli putting her complete trust in Oskar’s hands. It’s a pivotal moment in their budding relationship.

It’s Eli giving him the ultimate power; you can destroy me right here or let me live.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:08 am

"... finds the raw beating heart ..." ~ good one

So, did your boss ever find out?

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 am

gkmoberg1 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:08 am
"... finds the raw beating heart ..." ~ good one

So, did your boss ever find out?
Nope...never did :) I had mostly a very good attendance record with that job. I kept my head low. Did my work and didn't get involved with politics. Hence I think my boss trusted me...maybe a little too much :lol: :lol: :lol: But no, he never found out.

Return to “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”