So is the UK edition more complete?

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
CyberGhostface

So is the UK edition more complete?

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:57 pm

I noticed the Swedish introduction was missing from the table of contents in the US version. Is the US edition missing anything else?
No banaaaanas?

Jameron

Re: So is the UK edition more complete?

Post by Jameron » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:46 pm

*Irrelevant entry*

Deleted.

Last edited by Jameron on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:12 pm

I think this is about the UK version of the book which includes Swedish edition's foreword in the table of contents.
The foreword is missing from US edition.

http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks... not sure if I should import from the UK.

Also interesting is that they apparently reordered the stories in the US edition. Also looks like different translations; in the US it's "To Put My Arms Around You, To Music", in the UK its "To hold you while the music plays" or "A Village in the Sky" vs "Village on the hill". Anyone know if one translation is better than the other or if the stories themselves differ? The US sounds more literal but the UK one sounds more natural.

Anyone have pics of the back of the dust jacket or the inner flaps? Just curious as to what they say, I'm a bit annoyed at how the US publisher describes JAL and his books.
No banaaaanas?

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:58 pm

About the title "A Village in the Sky" / "Village on the hill": see this posting and then this one.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 pm

*looks at thread header - sees Let The Old Dreams Die*

Well now I just feel stupid :cry:

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:15 am

LET THE OLD DREAMS DIE
Brief comparison of UK and US editions.

Nice cover for US edition. In many ways it's superior to UK version.
US cover calls the collection "Let The Old Dreams Die stories" instead of UK's "Let The Old Dreams Die and other stories".

The back cover of US version has five(!!!) comparisons to Stephen King, while UK only has two.

Table of contents in US edition has quite a few differences from UK version.
1. General order of stories is somewhat contrasting from UK to US.
2.UK's "Village on the hill" becomes "A Village in the Sky" .
3.UK's "Can't see it! It doesn't exist!" becomes "Itsy Bitsy".
4.UK's "Substitute" and "Border" becomes "The Substitute" and "The Border".
5.UK's "To hold you while the music plays" strangely turns into "To Put My Arms Around You, to Music".(???)
6."Final Processing" and "Let The Old Dreams Die" have (sequel to...) attached to them because here in US we're a bit on a slow side.
7. US version has a long story called "Tindalos" which was originally written as a serial for Dagens Nyheter(Daily News) http://www.dn.se/in 2007 and does not appear in UK edition of LTODD.(!!!!) 8-)
This surprising addition is a good reason to acquire the domestic release along with the UK one.

Directly after US table of contents, there's a Paper Walls related foreword which as far as I can tell does not appear in the short story itself.(please correct me if I'm wrong)

And finally US edition is missing UK's "Foreword to Swedish Edition of Let The Old Dreams Die".

As you can see differences in both editions makes both books an essential addition to any serious John Ajvide Lindquist aficionado's library.
Vitaly
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks... I guess if I had to choose one I'd pick the US edition because of the bonus story. Personally I prefer the UK cover just because of its atmosphere.
No banaaaanas?

StefL

Post by StefL » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:36 pm

I still think the translated name of the story Village on the Hill is a bad take by the translator. The Swedish title - By På Höjden - is double-sided. Sure, it does superficially mean "Village on the hill", but in this case it would translate better to Vertical Village since the story is about a flat block where the inhabitants are like the inhabitants of a village with some (but not full) knowledge of each others' lives.

Likewise, "The Final Processing" does connect with the contents of the story, but not backwards with the novel it's a sequel to. I would have named it The Final Handling instead - could someone from the English speaking reader community tell me whether that would really be bad English?

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:35 pm

StefL wrote:I still think the translated name of the story Village on the Hill is a bad take by the translator. The Swedish title - By På Höjden - is double-sided. Sure, it does superficially mean "Village on the hill", but in this case it would translate better to Vertical Village since the story is about a flat block where the inhabitants are like the inhabitants of a village with some (but not full) knowledge of each others' lives.

Likewise, "The Final Processing" does connect with the contents of the story, but not backwards with the novel it's a sequel to. I would have named it The Final Handling instead - could someone from the English speaking reader community tell me whether that would really be bad English?
"High Rise Village" or even "Urban Village" would have been closer.

I never liked "The Final Processing" as a title. "Final Handling" is much better imho.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”