First Impressions of LTODD: The Epilogue to the Epilogue

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
Wolfchild

First Impressions of LTODD: The Epilogue to the Epilogue

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:59 am

I don't have review yet, but I do have a list of things that I like. I'm not sure what is a spoiler and what isn't, so i hid the whole thing:
  • I like that John made the epilogue to Oskar & Eli's love story into another love story.
  • I like the parallel between Oskar & Eli sealing their fates together with clasped hands, and Stefan realizing that Karin is the one while re-enact the hand clasping.
  • I like the way John is able to describe an epic love (I guess all true love is epic, isn't it?) without resorting to epic language or epic drama.
  • I like the way Stefan & Karin's story is just as open-ended as Oskar & Eli's.
  • I like the way John had Stefan & Karin making the choice that most of The Infected would probably also have chosen.
  • Most of all, I like the way LTODD went in a direction I never could have imagined, and still somehow continued the magic from LDRKI.
  • OK, the "Most of all..." should have been the last the one, but... this story reminded me that I like that I'm Infected. 8-)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Nightrider

Re: First Impressions of LTODD: The Epilogue to the Epilogue

Post by Nightrider » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 am

Wolfchild wrote:
OK, the "Most of all..." should have been the last the one, but... this story reminded me that I like that I'm Infected. 8-)
This one's probably the best one... 8-)
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:13 am

I liked how Eli and Oskar's hand-holding eventually led to Stefan & Karin falling in love when Stefan imitated them with Karin. 8-)

Makalli

Post by Makalli » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Just read it now, and I'm still reeling from the fix.

I agree with all that has been said. It was amazing, utterly amazing. But not at all what I was expecting.

It tells the reaction to the story, and not the story entirely.

How did Oskar and Eli get to Spain, what happened on the way. Too many questions.
Döden besökte mig i morse. Vi spelar schack tillsammans.

DarkGuyver

Post by DarkGuyver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 am

After reading Let The Old Dream Die, I just have to say JAL did a good job of writting this epilogue to Let The Right One In. However it does confirm what I believe would become of Eli and Oskar's relationship.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Wow! I have just read Let The Old Dreams Die (the official epilogue to Let The Right One In, not the whole book).

and ...... WOW!

*****SPOILERS BELOW*****

I agree with everything Wolfchild said, and the standout part for me, as far as the storytelling goes, was John telling a parallel story with Karin and Stefan.

The thing is, I had never seen parallel stories in books I have read until I read Let The Right One In, and even then I wasn't fully aware of the true extent of the parallel until discussing the story with others. To clarify, I might have read books with parallels but I have never spotted them, guess I'm a little obtuse in that respect. But whilst reading Let The Old Dreams Die I was squeeing internally as I spotted the parallels, and this greatly enhanced my appreciation of John's writing skills, and the story.

Of course, if I have one little niggle, it is that there just wasn't enough Eli and Oskar. Yes, I know, I'm greedy. But what can I say, I love those two characters and I could read about them forever. Naturally I had been spoiled about Oskar's turning, I stumbled across a post on IMDB ages ago where the poster just blurted it out without warning. But I was amazed at how John managed to make Oskar's turning into something beautiful and positive, and not at all a violation of his body but an invitation from him for he and Eli to become 'one'. This, as far as the story goes, is my standout point, it is very fitting that Oskar's blood sharing wish was the way it happened. Mercifully I hadn't read that scenario anywhere in any fanfiction, and I'm grateful for that.

And so John finally nails the coffin lid down on the 'cycle theory', and good riddance too. :lol:

All the feels.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

danielma

Post by danielma » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Jameron wrote:
And so John finally nails the coffin lid down on the 'cycle theory', and good riddance too. :lol:

Ahhh that bloody 'cycle' :lol: the source of many annoyances :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it Jameron :D
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 am

Jameron wrote:But I was amazed at how John managed to make Oskar's turning into something beautiful and positive, and not at all a violation of his body but an invitation from him for he and Eli to become 'one'. This, as far as the story goes, is my standout point, it is very fitting that Oskar's blood sharing wish was the way it happened. Mercifully I hadn't read that scenario anywhere in any fanfiction, and I'm grateful for that.
Another good reason not to read mine. :lol:
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 am

Wolfchild wrote:
Jameron wrote:But I was amazed at how John managed to make Oskar's turning into something beautiful and positive, and not at all a violation of his body but an invitation from him for he and Eli to become 'one'. This, as far as the story goes, is my standout point, it is very fitting that Oskar's blood sharing wish was the way it happened. Mercifully I hadn't read that scenario anywhere in any fanfiction, and I'm grateful for that.
Another good reason not to read mine. :lol:
Just added yours to my reading list. :)

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:09 am

Jameron wrote:And so John finally nails the coffin lid down on the 'cycle theory', and good riddance too. :lol:
Hultcrantz has a vey similar ending in his stageplay too, independently, since it was written before LTODD. Eli ashamingly asks Oskar if he want to become like him, and Oskar declines. As they part, Oskar actually believes Eli has helped him into a new start. However, after receiving the final message from society that "we don't want you", he sits down beside Eli, stretching out his blood dripping hand towards him .
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”