Little Great Ending [spoilers]

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
drakkar

Little Great Ending [spoilers]

Post by drakkar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:18 pm

30 years ago today, Eli and Oskar left us behind at the Karlstad C Railway station building. There has been a bit research on train schedules autumn 1981, and it seems like Stefan Larsson was conductor on the Stockholm-Oslo train arriving at Karlstad 17:30 CET. Stefan went off the train to return to Stockholm on the train arriving from Oslo 18:20. A bit before the train arrived, he spotted Eli and Oskar mixing blood next to the station building.

So tonight we have the 30 years anniversary of saying goodbye to Eli and Oskar, at about six o'clock (CET). Thanks to Sean for his depiction of the event:

..27 years later, in 2008, they were spotted in Barcelona, so maybe next time will be in 2035?
Last edited by drakkar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Ash

Re: Little Great Ending

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 am

So Stefan owes his life to the efficiency of Statens Järnvägar, - his return train arriving on time.
If that was here in Sydney, he'd be stone cold before it arrived. :D

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 am

No - his own cautiousness. He pulled back in time. Eli was angry because Stefan disturbed the blood mixing. It was his kindness which brought him into trouble - he thought Eli was thinly dressed for the biting winter cold, so he went to see what was going on because he was concerned about the kids.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 am

".....she was about to throw herself at me when the train master called out that my train had arrived. I think that saved me."
(You might want to add a spoiler warning to the thread title, so we can discuss LTODD without having to use those annoying spoiler cover up thingies. :D)

intrige

Post by intrige » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 am

Found this:
Also a LTODD drawing :D A very original one too ;)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

drakkar

Re: Little Great Ending [spoilers]

Post by drakkar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am

Ash wrote:".....she was about to throw herself at me when the train master called out that my train had arrived. I think that saved me."
(You might want to add a spoiler warning to the thread title, so we can discuss LTODD without having to use those annoying spoiler cover up thingies. :D)
Oh, thanks, I forgot about that (focused on finding the train schedules, I guess) :) That means the exact event of the blood mixing was a bit later, say about 18:15, local Central European Time.

@Intrige: Nice drawing! Do I know the person who made it? :)
- Karl Ove Knausgård

intrige

Post by intrige » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 am

Nope, not hat I know of. Someone Swedish, but that's all I know.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Suibhne

Post by Suibhne » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 am

I think this ending is so crucial! I first saw Let Me In, then I bought LTROI book and movie off ebay. Now LMI was great movie I must say, It made me buy LTROI book and DVD of ebay, and it's not often that I spend money like that as I don't have a lot of money, or steady income. Now American movies annoy me, but I thought If the American movie was that good then the Swedish original must be freakin' awesome! Which of course it was. John mentions that it nags at him that he's left oskar open to become another hakan. which of course is what LMI implies, but not what I got at all from LTROI. LTODD is such a great sequel I couldn't of imagined it better. The fact that it keeps Oskar and Eli in the dark just makes it perfect, keeping the suspense that the end of LTROI leaves you with, by tying up what happened to them only to leave ends loose again. As I really think the mystery of the two eloping ties in so well to make such a great story, and leaves room for more imagination, and fantasy (after all isn't that what makes love so appealing.)

P.S I only just read LTODD a couple of hours ago. Only read LTROI and saw the movies about a month or two ago... Don't really follow media much.
Peace x

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:17 am

Yeah, it's cool how LTODD gives you just a little glimpse of Oskar and Eli--not enough to know very much, but enough to know that Oskar was turned, and they're still together, and presumably in love.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:29 am

Welcome to the board! :D
Agreed, LTODD is a great little story. Do you got the short story Border in your book edition? It's even better!
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”