Little Great Ending [spoilers]

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
johnajvide

Re: Little Great Ending [spoilers]

Post by johnajvide » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 am

What I did was to take the particular part of the troll mythology that has to do with changelings. This was usually a way to explain why a child was sick or deformed. That the trolls had taken the real baby and left one of their own instead. Then I started thinking, "Why would they do this, and how would they accomplish this in this day and age?" The story is the explanation. Also I included the part of the troll mythology that says that trolls are afraid of thunder and lightning. What I did not include is that they shy away from the sound of church bells (because of the christian implication). That part I have included in the film script I wrote some months ago and which might or might not be turned into a feuture-length film. As always things are uncertain.
And, oh, Drakkar by the way: This was not the story I wrote that showed that I was capable (that was another one, still unpublished, because it doesn´t seem very capable now) Border was written after LTROI and first draft of HTU. I still didn´t have a publisher when i wrote it, though.

Suibhne

Post by Suibhne » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks John. So great that you take the time for your fans. And thank you for all your work. You really know how to be unpredictable. I was reading equinox this afternoon and thought it was going to go some weird places that it didn't, considering things like zombie Harkan. But then that would have made it predictable... Why does this other story not seems very capable of getting published now if you don't mind me asking?
Peace x

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Oh, thanks John, you must publish that first story, I'm very curious about it!
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

intrige

Post by intrige » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Imagine, a Border film, wow. :shock: :D
I have heard that the hulder people took the babies and switched them, not the trolls :s oh well
Nice knowing you're still here John!! Always a plesure!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:49 pm

intrige wrote:magine, a Border film, wow.
I would like that ver much! :D
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:32 pm

So there is a Border screenplay? I would love to see a film version too.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Just managed to find a copy of this, and having not read any of the author's other material (yet), I just went ahead and read the LTROI "sequel."

I loved it. More than an afterword, shorter than a free-standing story, but I thought it was an excellent final (?) view of Eli & Oskar.

It feels like a real reward to fans of the book and movie, and it also feels like the author wanted to really bestow a gift to the characters. I completely get that: you create a character, see it through hell, ad in some cases you just want to show it your profound gratitude for what he or she provided you.

And it helped clear up the question that I initially had from the movie, will Oskar just end up another Hakan? Thank you JAL for that.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

seigezunt

Post by seigezunt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:05 pm

You know what I want? I want a deluxe hardback edition of LTROI that has this story attached as an appendix. Maybe with pix from the movie.

And I want a pony. A unicorn pony.
"She can fly, she has amazing and horrifying powers, she isn’t exactly a boy or a girl, she can’t come inside unless she’s invited ... and she loves him. That’s enough."

--Andrew O'Hehir, Salon.com

My LTROI Pinterest Board

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:41 pm

seigezunt wrote: And I want a pony. A unicorn pony.
That is what the brony communety is for. Haha :lol:
It was a blast reading through this thread again. Man I had forgotten JAL had actually commented here. :)
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

banjoist123

Post by banjoist123 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 pm

I just got the book and went right to the short story. This is the ending I was hoping for, but aren't we all? Go off into the night hand in hand with a loved one? And forever young...
I want to close my eyes very tightly, concentrate, hear the sounds around me disappear, sense the night against my closed eyelids, feel snow flakes hit my cheeks, feel the cold of the jungle gym, and hear the sound of light approaching footsteps…

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”