LTODD: The Loss of Innocence (Spoilers!)

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
rgh

Re: LTODD: The Loss of Innocence (Spoilers!)

Post by rgh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:14 am

PeteMork wrote:
rgh wrote:I personally cannot stand the idea of things turning out like the events of "Oskar ar 40". I think unturned, this is exactly how things would have ended up. A miserable Oskar, a sad and confused Eli, and a relationship that is going down the tubes, soon to leave Eli alone again
As hard as this is to accept, isn’t a possible “Oskar at 40” scenario inherently better because Eli and Oskar have not committed the “sin” I describe above? In other words, have they definitely sacrificed their future happiness to avoid this “sin?” I’m not convinced. In fact I am certain that they could be happy without Oskar being turned.

Here is a plausable alternative:
http://let-the-right-one-in.com/fancont ... r-eighteen
As always, great story, Pete.

rgh

Post by rgh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:19 am

lombano wrote: Not read your story yet, but I agree that in a sense even 'Oskar at 40' is a better outcome. Not turning Oskar need not be that tragic either, there's also 'Love's Epitaph.
But that's how it goes for everyone - either you break up or someone dies.
Re-read it. I had forgotten how sad that one is. :cry:

And yeah, that's how it is for us mortals, but given a choice to buck the system...

Angelalex242

Post by Angelalex242 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 pm

The loss of innocence...

Isn't there a point in every man and woman's life when he must lose innocence, one way or another? The simple act of growing up causes a loss of innocence, growing older, raising a family, taking one's place in the circle of life.

What they lose that needn't be lost otherwise is blood innocence...but, given the options, I rather agree with the decision. Better to be immortal undead beings together then to grow apart. I do not believe the kill count will necessarily go up. Particularly if Eli takes less then half of a person's blood when draining them.

WhiteBackground

Post by WhiteBackground » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 am

I once read a book in Star Wars series (yes, don't laugh :oops: ), where there was a small but significant dialogue between Luke and one of Jedi Masters, either Yoda or Obi-Van. Luke was pondering the nature of his father's evil, and doing that he wandered aloud about how can hate everybody so much to cause so much evil. To that the wise Master replied that Luke is mistaken about Darth Vader's motivations. He said:

- He does not hate anyone. He merely lusts too blindly.

I think this phrase summarizes quite perfectly the answer to the question raised by Pete, replacing "lust" with "love" of course. Oskar and Eli are too isolated in their own world and love each other too blindly to even consider the grim possibilities. That, of course, makes them complete outcasts, but weren't they so to begin with? The fact that the story is essentially told from their viewpoint does not change that fact. I think the LTODD ending is perfectly consistent with LTROI's premise.
"The one with enough courage and patience to dare gaze all his life into the darkness will be the first one to see in it a glimmer of light" (c)

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”