My Thoughts on Låt de gamla drömmarna dö. Yep - SPOILERS

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
Wolfchild

My Thoughts on Låt de gamla drömmarna dö. Yep - SPOILERS

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 am

Wow. Just wow. I agree with Editrice when she said, "...it didn't destroy the magic of the novel itself one bit." I would say LTODD has its own magic, and it is magical indeed.

Imagine if this had been published earlier, or if Let Me In had been produced later. Imagine if this could have been added as an extra 30 minutes to the end of LMI. I have seen someone comment that after they had watched LTROI the first time, they felt like had been hit in the chest with a cricket bat. I too know this feeling. If LMI had ended with the story from LTODD, I probably would probably have left the theater with that cricket bat feeling. 8-)

I have some initial thoughts about LTODD:

I am struck by how much Stefan and Karin could be surrogates for Oskar and Eli. After all, we have seen JAL use such a device before. In the novel, Virginia was sort of a surrogate for Eli. JAL really told us very little about Eli directly. However, by describing in detail Virginia's experience of turning into a vampire, he told us the essentials of what Eli's existence must be like. So too, I think it possible that Stefan and Karin are surrogates for Oskar and Eli. In fact, it maybe that Stefan and Karin represent Oskar and Eli if Eli were a girl and were not infected.

JAL said in the foreword to Låt de gamla drömmarna dö:
[quote]...what is hinted at in the Swedish film is in the U.S. now crystal clear. Håkan has been with Eli since he was a boy in Oskar's age. Thus, it is not hard to figure out the fate that awaits Oskar.
Do not misunderstand me. I think it's an entirely reasonable end, a gorgeous interpretation of history and deliberately open-ended as I left the book. But it's not my end.
I wanted to give my version.[/quote]

He tells us in the very first sentence that he wants to tell about a great love. We think he means that of Oskar and Eli, and what he said in the foreword pretty much confirms that, but then he instead tells us about Stefan and Karin.

Some points of similarity that I have noticed between Stefan & Karin and Oskar & Eli:

[list]
[*]Karin and Stefan's love is special enough that captures the attention (and the envy) of the narrator. This also describes the love between Oskar and Eli, which seems to have captured the attention (and envy) of The Infected.
[*]Karin is older than Stefan. Eli has a few years on Oskar.
[*]Despite that, it seems that their love will end when Stefan's life does. This would almost certainly be true for Oskar and Eli - provided that Oskar is not infected.
[*]Karin seems to be the more assertive of the two - Stefan looks to her for permission before relating how they met. Also, Karin has the profession of an assertive person - a police officer. Eli was definitely more assertive than Oskar. Except for the unfamiliar social interactions with Oskar, Eli had the self-confidence of a predator.
[*]In the end, Stefan and Karin disappear together, their fate uncertain. All that is certain is that they are still as enviably in love as ever.[/list]

I have seen people speculate that Stefan and Karin also represent JAL and his wife, Maia. This is certainly possible, but I think that there are really only two forum members who could really make such an assessment. I think that like me, most forum members only know JAL through his work, his posts here, and his public appearances. In other words, no one (except for one of us) really knows him personally. Of his wife, Maia, all I really know is that she is a poet and that she does a good job of walking away from the camera on a dark Blackeberg street. I'm not saying that JAL and his wife do not have a love Stefan and Karin's. I would certainly wish for them that they do, and it is possible that they do. After all, my spouse and I have been together for twenty three years, and we still hold hands. (We don't read aloud to each other, but that sounds like a great idea. ;) ) It's just that almost no one here could possibly know, and I certainly don't.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

drakkar

Re: My Thoughts on Låt de gamla drömmarna dö. Yep - SPOILER

Post by drakkar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 am

Wolfchild wrote:Wow. Just wow. I agree with Editrice when she said, "...it didn't destroy the magic of the novel itself one bit." I would say LTODD has its own magic, and it is magical indeed.
Thanks for a very good write-up. I lived with the story two weeks now, and the feeling of magic still increases. LTODD adds greatly to LTROI, and to me the seem to bed in side by side in a wonderful way. I'm deeply impressed about how much hints and nods to LTROI John has included in the short story, and still maintaining an unstrained style.

[quote="Wolfchild"]I have seen people speculate that Stefan and Karin also represent JAL and his wife, Maia. This is certainly possible, but I think that there are really only two forum members who could really make such an assessment.[/quote]
Even though I've never met them, I got this feeling, and strongly so. Mainly because:
- Same age difference between Stefan/Karin and John/Mia.
-The physical description of Karin makes me think of Mia.
-Everything I've listened to and read from John about Mia (his books, radio programs, newpapers) reminds me of Stefan/Karin
-The story is dedicated to Mia (a bit far fetched but I'll toss it in) :)

And then Stefan - I keep thinking if Oskar could have become something like him if he had been allowed to grow up in peace.

Wolfchild wrote:Of his wife, Maia, all I really know is that she is a poet and that she does a good job of walking away from the camera on a dark Blackeberg street.

You've also seen her with a mask and an electrical drill in JAL's Lilla Stjärna promotion video. I'm not 100% sure it is her (I haven't asked them), but I'm 95%. They make a lot of the promotion stuff together, and the hair is like Mia's (and Karin's).
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Another nod I forgot - Stefan's dad drowned in 1998, fishing. John's father - a former fishermsn - also drowned in 1998.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

intrige

Post by intrige » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 am

Ah, he said something about it in hos Harbour video on youtube! :D (About his dad that is.)

I think we all know this, but I just have to say it anyway..O.o JAL was 12 in 1981 XDXD And when he was going to switch school, 9th grade. He sat his main bullys school lokcer on fire. Just like Oskar did with Jonny. (Something about now or never since John was leaving). Now that made me realy think about the near end of LTROI. If Eli and Oskar planned to run away together. But the pool scene I doubht realy hard, was planned. O.o
Last edited by intrige on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

jonjon_z

Post by jonjon_z » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:07 am

[quote="Wolfchild"]Some points of similarity that I have noticed between Stefan & Karin and Oskar & Eli:...[/quote]
I must include one other similarity and that is, how they met and then bonded. Stefan was called into questioning and when he demonstrated what he saw to Karin, his interrogator, there was electricity. Eli & Oskar met and then bonded through a puzzle, a Rubik's cube. Oskar had to demonstrate how to turn it and what the solved puzzle should look like. Oskar & Eli had, in a sense, become Stefan & Karin's Rubik's cube.

... and Yes, Yes and Yes. This is such a beautiful story. It is a testament to the overused, oft misunderstood theory that love does indeed, conquer all.
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”