Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
drakkar

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by drakkar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 pm

I havent got the book yet! Only John's comforting voice in my ears!
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 pm

drakkar wrote:I havent got the book yet! Only John's comforting voice in my ears!
:think: Hey! It could be a conference call bed-time story on Skype! Only with the time difference a_c_l will have to go to bed ... :think: shortly after lunchtime. :lol:
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 pm

OK with me, as long as someone tells me EXACTLY what to do to get the skype up and running (you know what I mean... :) )
- Karl Ove Knausgård

jonjon_z

Post by jonjon_z » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Do I detect a Skype party? Count me in! I'll bring coffee and danish. :D
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

EEA

Post by EEA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:07 am

Lucky! I want the book to come out in English already. I could not resist so I read the spoilers. :D I am glad of the ending. It fits the title of the story since Oskar and Eli are letting go of their old lives and starting a new journey together. I thought that Oskar was going to take more time in turning though. So many nights tormenting myself in thinking what happened after the train ride. :evil:

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:52 am

EEA wrote:Lucky! I want the book to come out in English already. I could not resist so I read the spoilers. :D I am glad of the ending. It fits the title of the story since Oskar and Eli are letting go of their old lives and starting a new journey together. I thought that Oskar was going to take more time in turning though. So many nights tormenting myself in thinking what happened after the train ride. :evil:
To me this is a strike of genius - John has achieved exactly what he wants. When watching the last scene in the film, where Oskar is looking out the train window, thinking: Now you know exactly what he is planning - to finish the blood mixing he initiated some days ago.
And same with the book, where Stefan (the conductor) is linked directly to the discovering of Oskar becoming a vampire just a few hours later.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

kaonto

Post by kaonto » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm

So, who do you think sent the letter with the photograph to the police in the first place? Someone "living in Blackeberg, who had known Oskar really well." Could it be Tommy?
Cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Exactly what I also believe. Probably because Tommy also had a good look at Eli when (s)he bought blood from him, he might have recognised both Oskar and Eli on the picture. Also a nice touch (almost too nice for being JAL) to hint about Tommy recovering after the event with Håkan.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

D.Proper

Post by D.Proper » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 am

I have to admit that I couldn't resist clicking on all the spoilers either and I'm really glad I did; just makes me want to read LtODD more! Big thanks for all the posts. Waiting for the English translation is gonna be tough...
"What are legends anyway but stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things? I do know this: something that two people who are in love create together against impossible odds, can hold them together... forever."

StefL

Post by StefL » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Pheeew, I finally managed to find the book in a book store (Bokskotten in case anyone's interested) yesterday, so now I didn't have to resist the urge to read this thread any longer :D

I addition to what's been written earlier, I'm kind of interested in what Stefan and Karin were really up to in going to Barcelona. The immediate thought I had was that they were going in order to try and find Eli and Oskar to ask them to turn Stefan to keep him from dying. Is this what you others thought as well, or did they just want to be able to finally solve the mystery and find out if/that Karin was right?
Last edited by StefL on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”