Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
drakkar

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by drakkar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Stangarlins wrote:.. but for what I read here, people are not lunging for JAL's throat, and that's great! It kind of makes me relieved now that I know it's not a crappy ending :D.
Judging from my reactions so far, this is a masterpiece. In LTROI John were zooming in on Eli & Oskar, now he's zooming out.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

moonvibe34

Post by moonvibe34 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 am

I can resist anything but temptation so I had to know what was behind those red barriers.
I must say, I'm thrilled at what I discovered and it makes me yearn even more to experience the story first hand.
Open endings are the best because they're not really endings at all and a story like LTROI should never end. :D
"But dreams come through stone walls, light up dark rooms, or darken light ones, and their persons make their exits and their entrances as they please, and laugh at locksmiths."
Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

rgh

Post by rgh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:10 am

It really is nice to know that they are still out there, together and happy. :D

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:34 am

Ok, I confess. I was weak. I clicked on everything. 8-)

TheVoxHumanus

Post by TheVoxHumanus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 am

I obviously haven't read it yet, but it's positively delicious that they were last seen around the premieres of both movies -- no doubt infecting unsuspecting members of the public! :twisted:

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Ok, I confess. I was weak. I clicked on everything. 8-)
IMHO the magic of the epilogue lies in the way it is written and not in the factual details, so it isn't really so much of a spoiler.
For example, in the film, when Oskar sits on the train looking out the window: Now you know exactly what he is thinking and what he is planning, and this is how you leave the film. Genial in all it's simplicity. The blood mixing is directly linked to the train (film) and the conductor (book).
The narrator speaks about the profound and strong love between Stefan and Karin, but any soul who has read LTROI properly knows two other perons who discovered true love. It is so simple and beautiful; we know much more than the narrator, so when he is speaking about Stefan and Karin, we think about Eli and Oskar. Observations he makes are of great significance to us, but they doesn't tell him much, not until the end of the story when he starts to grasp the connection ever so slightly.
The title LtODD, refers to when a person dies, the death of all his dreams is sadder than the death of the person itself.
Or, perhaps he only let the old dreams die, and dreams new ones instead. We humans knows so little...
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Kalmah

Post by Kalmah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:Ok, I confess. I was weak. I clicked on everything. 8-)
:lol:

So did I... So did I.. :P
Hiding behind the empty smiles

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

drakkar wrote:
IMHO the magic of the epilogue lies in the way it is written and not in the factual details, so it isn't really so much of a spoiler.
For example, in the film, when Oskar sits on the train looking out the window: Now you know exactly what he is thinking and what he is planning, and this is how you leave the film. Genial in all it's simplicity. The blood mixing is directly linked to the train (film) and the conductor (book).
The narrator speaks about the profound and strong love between Stefan and Karin, but any soul who has read LTROI properly knows two other perons who discovered true love. It is so simple and beautiful; we know much more than the narrator, so when he is speaking about Stefan and Karin, we think about Eli and Oskar. Observations he makes are of great significance to us, but they doesn't tell him much, not until the end of the story when he starts to grasp the connection ever so slightly.
The title LtODD, refers to when a person dies, the death of all his dreams is sadder than the death of the person itself.
Or, perhaps he only let the old dreams die, and dreams new ones instead. We humans knows so little...
Drakkar, will you please, puh-leez read me a bedtime story? :D :lol:

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:53 am

Sure, on skype. :D
- Karl Ove Knausgård

covenant6452

Post by covenant6452 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:09 pm

HEY!!! ME FIRST!!! :lol:
Du måste bjuda in mig...or else!

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”