Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
metoo

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by metoo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Wolfchild wrote:Part of the fascination of the Eli character is that his extreme dangerousness (is that a real word?) was matched by his extreme vulnerability to a little bit of compassion. I've always felt that Eli was dangerous to anyone around him at all times - even to Oskar. It was only his determination to hold onto his humanity - and his affection for Oskar - that ever kept Oskar or anyone else safe. Eli and an infected Oskar could not be any less dangerous. It would be easy to imagine the two of them together being even more than twice as dangerous. Saving their humanity for each other, their only interactions with the society that had failed them could only be predatory.
I don't believe that, such an approach would in the end erode their humanity, since they would end up as one soul in two bodies. A soul without contact with humanity.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:44 am

Ash wrote:I can't compete with the fan fiction people because I'm too much a visual person, and not too good with words.
I disagree, Ash-meister. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" comes to mind. The right picture/photo/painting at the right time to the right person can stir the soul as easily as a well-turned phrase or narrative.

rgh

Post by rgh » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:58 am

metoo wrote: About O&E, they apparently live, but whether they are happy or not is an open question.
I guess that their fate and happiness is as open ended as anyone's life at this point. There is always the possibility that something goes wrong and one doesn't make it home before daybreak. I believe, though, that as long as they are together, they will be happy. :D

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:59 am

rgh wrote:I believe, though, that as long as they are together, they will be happy. :D
Me too. :D
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

babyboi102909

Post by babyboi102909 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

THANKS to everyone who posted these!!! What an awesome start to my day. :mrgreen: Only problem is that I will have an even harder time waiting for the English translation, but as they say, good things come to those who wait!! :D
We fell in love despite our differences...and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created.
---The Notebook

God of Vampires

Post by God of Vampires » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 pm

metoo wrote:
rgh wrote:I believe, though, that as long as they are together, they will be happy. :D
Me too. :D
That is my view as well, they will be happy as long as they are together :D . Dare I say happier than I will ever be ;) .
"I think Eli, just as me, is a fan of multicoloured equines. You need this to get through an eternity of bloodshed."
_God of Vampires/Prince Darkmoon, Proud infected, proud brony.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 am

metoo wrote:
Wolfchild wrote:Part of the fascination of the Eli character is that his extreme dangerousness (is that a real word?) was matched by his extreme vulnerability to a little bit of compassion. I've always felt that Eli was dangerous to anyone around him at all times - even to Oskar. It was only his determination to hold onto his humanity - and his affection for Oskar - that ever kept Oskar or anyone else safe. Eli and an infected Oskar could not be any less dangerous. It would be easy to imagine the two of them together being even more than twice as dangerous. Saving their humanity for each other, their only interactions with the society that had failed them could only be predatory.
I don't believe that, such an approach would in the end erode their humanity, since they would end up as one soul in two bodies. A soul without contact with humanity.
You say that like it would be a bad thing. :) One soul in two bodies - could any of us hope for anything better than that in this life?

Each of them has been shown more humanity by the other than by anyone else. For each of them, humanity at large has meant indifference at best and cruelty at worst. For each of them, and especially for both of them together, losing contact with humanity at large is no loss.
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

rgh

Post by rgh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:51 am

It is easy to forget that we have a unique perspective on Eli, having been able to experience the private moments between her and Oskar. Most of the things that we think about when evaluating Eli's humanity tend to be centered around her relationship with Oskar. The outside viewer, as in LTODD, would possibly see the predatory nature of our favorite vampires. Intellectually I get it, but the other part of me...
One soul in two bodies - could any of us hope for anything better than that in this life?
We should all be so lucky.

fuad765

Post by fuad765 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 am

Where did you download the audiobook?

fuad765

Post by fuad765 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:06 am

I have just read the novel let the right one in... and I have been taken aback...
DID YOU KNOW THAT ABBY WAS A BOY??!!!

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”