Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
nithr

Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by nithr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Just finished listening to Let The Old Dreams Die and the fact that
Eli turned Oskar and that they're still alive and together
just made me want more. Was that the intention of JAL? Seems if he really wanted to end the Eli and Oskar story he would have handled it differently.

drakkar

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by drakkar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:09 pm

I did also download the audiobook today. I agree wholeheartedly with editrice's post about the magic being intact. I loved the story.
A bit open ended? Not more than normal for JAL, I think.
I sensed a hostility from Eli&Oskar towards the surroundings, which I took as a sign of "go away and leave us alone!" :)
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

nithr

Post by nithr » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:26 pm

drakkar wrote:I sensed a hostility from Eli&Oskar towards the surroundings, which I took as a sign of "go away and leave us alone!" :)
They were being hostile when Stefan walked up to them as they were mixing which is understandable. Other than that moment I don't see how you could gather anything from what little we were given. If they wanted to be left alone they could have picked a better place than Barcelona with its insane nightlife and be more careful about avoiding cameras so the the two people who were still looking for them wouldn't see and go after them.

Jitto

Post by Jitto » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm

nithr wrote:
drakkar wrote:I sensed a hostility from Eli&Oskar towards the surroundings, which I took as a sign of "go away and leave us alone!" :)
They were being hostile when Stefan walked up to them as they were mixing which is understandable. Other than that moment I don't see how you could gather anything from what little we were given. If they wanted to be left alone they could have picked a better place than Barcelona with its insane nightlife and be more careful about avoiding cameras so the the two people who were still looking for them wouldn't see and go after them.

So jealous of you guys ;)

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:41 pm

nithr wrote:They were being hostile when Stefan walked up to them as they were mixing which is understandable. Other than that moment I don't see how you could gather anything from what little we were given.
It was just an impression I was left with - it1s understandable that they were hostile against Stefan, but this also has to do with which glimpses of them JAL chooses to give us.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 am

I'm so tempted to click on these spoiler bars! Argh! :evil: :lol:

N.R. Gasan

Post by N.R. Gasan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 am

a_contemplative_life wrote:I'm so tempted to click on these spoiler bars! Argh!
I also debated on whether to click or not. I intend to get the book when it comes out later this year. But I decided not to wait until then; it's such a drag having to wait for translations. You folks "over there" really are fortunate. So I took the plunge, did the click, and without saying any more: I'm glad I did. Thanks again, you Nordic folks.

rgh

Post by rgh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:58 am

Knowing that it could be a while, I couldn't resist. :D I knew a bit before reading the novel and it didn't hurt the experience for me.

EEA

Post by EEA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:18 am

I want to click on the spoiler too :o

jonjon_z

Post by jonjon_z » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:45 am

Oh my god I hate you guys! Okay i'm kidding but I am jealous. :P
Grats on being the first ones to get your hands on this novel. It will be months before we can have an english version. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Okay going out now you never saw me here.
I am not clicking the spoiler tags.
I am not clicking the spoiler tags..
I am not clicking the spoiler tags...
"Can we die?" "Of course we can." Eli put his hand on his heart, felt the slow beats. Maybe it was because he was a child. Maybe that was why he hadn't put an end to it. The pangs of conscience were weaker than his will to live.

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”