Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
drakkar

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by drakkar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 am

Swaefheard wrote:Tommy knew about Eli but in his traumatized state may not have been believed either.
Yes, I think you're right about that. But that's the book, where it was plenty of witnesses to what happened. In the film, where it was only one witness, we don't know about any other friend of Oskar than Eli.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Swaefheard

Post by Swaefheard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:30 am

Having two slightly different versions of the ending gets confusing sometimes! I was thinking more of the story in the book :D
I think that in the film only Håkan definitely saw Oskar and Eli together. It's possible that others saw them after Eli had watched Oskar from the pool roof and they went together to the basement storage area where the blood bonding went horribly wrong. There's nothing in the film to tell us that though, so as far as we know there was only the one witness as you said.

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Swaefheard wrote:… In the book, it's probable that he knew Eli was coming back to see him. They were together in Eli's apartment for some time after Lacke's demise and probably discussed a lot. Why else would he have thrown Eli's boxes of money and toys across to his balcony and stored them?
When Eli came back and saved him he already knew what he wanted to do and what he wanted his future to be.
I think not, Oskar had no idea that Eli would return. Oskar's mood the last days to me witnesses of a depression, caused by his loss of a very dear friend. If he had known Eli was returning, his mood would have been radically different.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Swaefheard

Post by Swaefheard » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Ah yes. I've just been reading that part again. I misremembered!
Tuesday 10 November 'Oskar carried the boxes down into the basement...
Would decide later what to do with them.'

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Swaefheard wrote:Tuesday 10 November 'Oskar carried the boxes down into the basement...
Would decide later what to do with them.'
Kind of JAL to help him out. ;)
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Zeb

Post by Zeb » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Thank you everyone for the spoilers.Even though i havent read this yet and have to wait until theres an english version released here in the UK i've been chomping at the bit wanting to know what happened to Oskar and Eli after finishing LTROI.Cant wait to read this book!
Do or not do-there is no try.
Master Yoda

Toxiska

Post by Toxiska » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:15 am

I finally recieved the Swedish paperback in the mail this week, from Bokus. I was extremely happy with the way things turned out in Let The Old Dreams Die, since Let The Right One In is my favorite book (and film). I was scared to even read the follow up actually, but of course I couldn't resist. Even If JAL doesn't write another word about Oskar and Eli, I can still die happy ;)

I didn't know about this forum until 5 minutes ago, but it looks great! I own all of the Swedish paperbacks of JAL's books, and have wandered around Blackeberg at night in October ;) Hello all, cheers from Canada!

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Unfortunately Bokus will not send their books to US. They will send it all over the world, including Canada(which is just a stone's throw from US), but not to America.... :x
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

I recived the Norwegian paperback of LTODD after ordering it at a book shop the 15th of February. I got an SMS about it when I was witing for the bus home after having eating at a cafee with two friends of mine. I could just go and get it right away, what a great feeling. :D

I am reading the second novella, interesting indeed. (I have allready both read and listened to the LTROI epiologe) so I figure I will read it at the very end. No rush. I am also doing a book project in school where I first have to write about the author (No priblem, I know so much about JAL allready) and then I have to write down each page I have read for each day. and also write down what I have read. (Thankfully not so very detailed.) I also have to post it on the school's homework/filesharping homepage, so that both teachers and other students can see it. And more people might find JAL's other books this way, as I wrote a bit about them wehn I wrote about JAL. I hope somebody actually pays attension to this and read his books :D

Welcome Toxiska! You know swedish?
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Toxiska

Post by Toxiska » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:25 am

Thank you intrige! I have been learning Swedish as a pastime for the last three years, mostly through music, books and movies. I can't say how good I am doing, but I try my best. I started learning Swedish because of Låt den rätte komma in and the punk band Ebba Grön. I have been learning some Norwegian as well, because I love Joachim Nielsen's music, and my Scandinavian ancestry is Norwegian (from Rogaland). I haven't read the other stories in LDGDD yet, but I will as soon as I'm done Freak - Boken om Freddie Wadling.

To Nightrider, I find it amazing that Bokus would not send to the US..... what are you looking to order from them?

In the forward to the book, JAL says the movie implies that Oskar would become a new Håkan, but I have never felt that way. How could a 12 year old rent them a new apartment in another city, and so on, without luring someone older into the mix? I am glad he wrote the new story in any event. It is more in line with what I imagined what would have happened.

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”