Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
metoo

Re: Thoughts about Let The Old Dreams Die !!!SPOILERS!!!

Post by metoo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 am

Toxiska wrote:To Nightrider, I find it amazing that Bokus would not send to the US.....
They state that they have had problems with the US customs, books bounce at the border.
Toxiska wrote:In the forward to the book, JAL says the movie implies that Oskar would become a new Håkan, but I have never felt that way. How could a 12 year old rent them a new apartment in another city, and so on, without luring someone older into the mix? I am glad he wrote the new story in any event. It is more in line with what I imagined what would have happened.
This is exactly what I felt! The novel ending contains several possibilities, most of which would end in O&E separating sooner rather that later. I couldn't settle on any of these, until LTODD gave me the one I wanted.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Toxiska wrote: To Nightrider, I find it amazing that Bokus would not send to the US..... what are you looking to order from them?
Yes, it's pretty inconceivable. I contacted Bokus and was told that their packages to US get returned(!)....I'm just attempting to complete my set of JAL's paperbacks from Ordfront.
http://www.aspca.org/

Visit our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/WeTheInfected

Nobody understands...and of course...how could they?

Toxiska

Post by Toxiska » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I love the cover art Ordfront uses for the paperbacks, although my copy of LDRKI has the movie poster on the front. I've been thinking about ordering the other version as well. I normally put in an order with Bokus every 2 - 3 months, so maybe we can work something out???? How many books are you missing from your collection?

I read Elda telefonkataloger during my lunchbreak yesterday, very awesome! I will never use a straw in a piece of fruit again.............

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 am

Toxiska wrote:I love the cover art Ordfront uses for the paperbacks, although my copy of LDRKI has the movie poster on the front. I've been thinking about ordering the other version as well. I normally put in an order with Bokus every 2 - 3 months, so maybe we can work something out???? How many books are you missing from your collection?
The Ordfront covers are some of the most beautifully designed book art I've ever seen.
I'm still missing Hanteringen av odöda and Lilla stjärna . Unfortunately I don't read Swedish, but so what. These volumes are so unique that they will make great additions to my growing JAL book collection.
Hoping to get them soon.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 am

Toxiska wrote:I love the cover art Ordfront uses for the paperbacks, although my copy of LDRKI has the movie poster on the front. I've been thinking about ordering the other version as well. I normally put in an order with Bokus every 2 - 3 months, so maybe we can work something out???? How many books are you missing from your collection?

I read Elda telefonkataloger during my lunchbreak yesterday, very awesome! I will never use a straw in a piece of fruit again.............
It's hard for me to see Sampe without thinking of (a big) Oskar in a lot of respects. Or myself when it came to playing games in the woods. Brains are too solid to suck through a straw, but I'll overlook that to keep the peace.

Toxiska

Post by Toxiska » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:20 am

It was a poor comparison/metaphor/analogy........... I'll leave the writing to the writers ;) I also felt kind of dumb after reading 'Tjenen' and 'Garnet,' like I missed a few pages or something (and maybe a paragraphy or two in Tindalos, but I'm not a total idiot, I swear it, hehehehehe). I really enjoyed 'Ansiktsburk av Erik Pettersson' though, although I should have checked out the video on youtube while I was reading the story. I don't know how to block out spoilers, so I won't get to far into it.

Nightrider

Post by Nightrider » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 am

Got'em! Huge thanks to my friend in Stockholm! :D
Vitaly

Prodigy1985

Post by Prodigy1985 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:28 am

I just got the english version of LTODD and flip directly to the story concerning eli and oskar.I must say i am very happy that they are both vampires in love and living there life together. The story of eli and oskar has fascinated me from the very beginning given that it is a truly magical and captivating. Wish they would make a sequel film about this story but since Lina and karin are all grown up i dont think i want to see another girl playing the role of eli or another guy for oskar. Very depressed it has to end.
Last edited by Prodigy1985 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 am

Prodigy1985 wrote:I just got the english version of LTODD and flip directly to the story concerning eli and oskar.I must say i am very happy that they are both vampires in love and living they life together. The story of eli and oskar has fascinated me from the very beginning given that it is a truly magical and captivating. Wish they would make a sequel film about this story but since Lina and whatever the dudes name is, are all grown up i dont think i want to see another girl playing the role of eli or another guy for oskar. Very depressed it has to end.
The story hasn't ended. We just can't follow it anymore. ;)
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

danielma

Post by danielma » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 am

Nightrider wrote:Image

Got'em! Huge thanks to my friend in Stockholm! :D
Vitaly
I'm kind of envious...I've thought about trying to buy each book in their native language (because I really like the covers on them)...but can't find anywhere online to buy them
My Blog: Toxic Culture
Neon Maniacs: Link

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”