Epilogue question

For discussion of John Ajvide Lindqvist's short story collection Låt de gamla drömmarna dö
theguy1991

Epilogue question

Post by theguy1991 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Ok. Is the epilogue for LTROI coming out in Paper Walls or something else? Or is there more than one epilogue?
And when is it being released in English? I keep seeing spring of next year(2011) and then for English translation another 3 years, or is that for Little Star?
Can someone get things straight for me? Lots of question marks.thanks

drakkar

Re: Epilogue question

Post by drakkar » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:24 pm

The epilogue will be published in Sweden in a collection of short stories next spring.
As I understood johnajvide, the English translation of the epilogue will be published as an addition to "Paper Walls" (a collection of short stories originally published 2006). When is not stated yet.
So, same epilogue, different wrapping.
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

LastDarkness

Post by LastDarkness » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 pm

What are some good ones too read here? Theres simply to many to read them all.
Also I cant wait to see what JAL has in mind since it really is very Romeo and Juliet with the two in that theres really no happy ending for them realisticaly possible.
Abandon Eli or Become the New Hakan, Die, or become a Vampire. What would you do?
" Есть человек, есть проблема. Нет человека, нет проблемы. "
(If there is a person, there is a problem. If there is no person, then there is no problem.)

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:22 am

LastDarkness wrote:What are some good ones too read here? Theres simply to many to read them all.
Also I cant wait to see what JAL has in mind since it really is very Romeo and Juliet with the two in that theres really no happy ending for them realisticaly possible.
Abandon Eli or Become the New Hakan, Die, or become a Vampire. What would you do?
Let her turn me, spend a few weeks someplace where life is cheap and then go flying off together into the sunrise.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

TΛPETRVE

Post by TΛPETRVE » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:39 am

sauvin wrote:... and then go flying off together into the sunrise.
"For I beheld Satan as he FELL FROM HEAVEN!...LIKE LIGHTNING!!!"
Att fly är livet, att dröja döden.

Do not ask why; ask why not.

LastDarkness

Post by LastDarkness » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:41 am

sauvin wrote:
LastDarkness wrote:What are some good ones too read here? Theres simply to many to read them all.
Let her turn me, spend a few weeks someplace where life is cheap and then go flying off together into the sunrise.
Make sure to wear that super SPF sunblock, you know the stuff thats like grease thick.
I find the suicide path unflavourful to my palette due to that fact that well...theres no reason to do it. Call me stupid here but why do vampires keep getting depicted as having to kill their victums, you know that sorta leaves a trail of dead bodies and investigators looking for you who will inadvertantly end up killing you usualy. Cloroform, Stun gun, Black Jack, Halothane a guy, drink a little and rob him and the guy will report it as a mugging and theres no body ! lol

Still I read Loves Epitaph, Out from the Cold, another one where she turns Oskar, and one where she kills herself when he dies. Some were ok but I dislike the deus ex machina uses of miracle cures/solutions. If I wasnt in the middle of script writing a vampire movie myself right now id try my hand at writing a Darker but Happy Epiloge, right now im having enough problems keeping my ideas for my differant scripts seperate.
" Есть человек, есть проблема. Нет человека, нет проблемы. "
(If there is a person, there is a problem. If there is no person, then there is no problem.)

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Try "no ordinary day" on fanfiction.net
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm

LastDarkness wrote: I find the suicide path unflavourful to my palette due to that fact that well...theres no reason to do it. Call me stupid here but why do vampires keep getting depicted as having to kill their victums, you know that sorta leaves a trail of dead bodies and investigators looking for you who will inadvertantly end up killing you usualy. Cloroform, Stun gun, Black Jack, Halothane a guy, drink a little and rob him and the guy will report it as a mugging and theres no body ! lol
Historians of various stripes and stipples try to look into the psyches of people long perish by examining their writings, and yes, this includes their fiction. The theory is that they wrote about what they loved and what they feared.

We do, too.

"There's no reason to do it"? Kinda depends on what genre is your vampire, and what flavour is your blood. LTROI's vampire eschews aristocracy, wealth, power and the like, and gives us a waif who zings around the country restlessly because there's literally no place to sleep without having to worry about being found out. No friends, no family, no satisfying and fulfilling career... all the girl has is her puzzles, maybe a game of poker or two with a barely tamed minder and a [deleted] that takes over when it gets hungry. This is life?

It's often argued, credibly enough, that suicide is a valid reponse when life holds no further promise. Turn me, let me spend a few weeks with my loved one as we run around together in an orgy of blood lust - but the novelty of being able to fly will probably wear thin very quickly when the need for frequent flight becomes readily apparent. Assuming the process of turning doesn't eradicate whatever makes a Sauvin a Sauvin, life would get to cold and joyless in very short order.

And so, no, I think we can safely keep the SPF 10K in the closet. It won't be needed.

Edit: 29 Octobre 2011, replaced a "bad word" with [deleted] to comply with renewed restrictions on language.
Last edited by sauvin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

crazychristina

Post by crazychristina » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 pm

One could take a leaf from other fictional works. Oskar gets a job as a blood spatter analyst for the police. Eli decides to put her affliction to good use.

drakkar

Post by drakkar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:38 am

Well, in seven weeks or so we'll know :)
For the heart life is simple. It beats as long as it can.
- Karl Ove Knausgård

Return to “Let The Old Dreams Die”