Ika Nord

Leave a message for the cast & crew
Wolfchild

Ika Nord

Post by Wolfchild » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 am

This thread is dedicated to messages for Ika Nord - the actor who portrayed Virginia in the film Let The Right One In.

thestich

Re: Ika Nord

Post by thestich » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Ika,

All of the pictures I have seen of you when not playing Virginia show you smiling.

Very different from the role you played in LTROI, and very well done.

Thank you!
While wandering here between posts and FF, I am gradually getting convinced, that I haven't seen anywhere more beautiful madness than on this forum. Clubmeister

DMt.

Post by DMt. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Dear Ika, thank you for this courageous [and highly unglamorous!] portrayal.

I will now always see the character of 'Ginia with your features and bearing.

With kindest regards,
DMt.

Wolfchild

Post by Wolfchild » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Dear Ika,

I can't claim to have grown up with, as some Swedish fans can. I have seen them talk of having watched you in Ika i rutan. However, when I see clips of that show on YouTube, or when I look at pictures of you on your Facebook page, I get a sense of playfulness. I get the feeling that at any time you are going to break into a smile that radiates warmth and friendliness. However, in your portrayal of Virginia, all of that is absent. Except perhaps for the little flash of smile that Virginia gives as she urges Lacke to invite Håkan over for a drink, Ika the entertainer of Swedish children is completely absent. You brought a completely different part of yourself to the role of Virginia. I think that is the mark of a fine actress.

Instead your Virginia is worn and world-weary, just as John described her in the novel. In fact, it wasn't until I had read the novel that I came to a full appreciation of your portrayal of Virginia. In particular, I was struck by this one passage from the novel:
Virginia walked away from the building, down to the park, and did not turn around.
Her body was wracked with sobs, half-running as if to outrun the tears. But they followed her, forced themselves into her eyes, and fell in big drops down her cheeks. Her heels cut through the snow, clicking against the asphalt of the path, and she wound her arms around herself, hugging herself.
There was no one to be seen so she gave in freely to her sobs as she made her way home, pressed her arms against her stomach; the pain lodged in there like an ill-tempered fetus.
Let a person in and he hurts you.
There was a reason why she kept her relationships brief. Don't let them in. Once they're inside they have more potential to hurt you. Comfort yourself. You can live with the anguish as long as it only involves yourself. As long as there is no hope.
But with Lacke she had held out hope. That something would slowly grow up between them. And in the end. One day. What? He accepted her food and her warmth but in reality she meant nothing to him.
She walked huddled-up along the path, doubled over with sorrow. Her back was stooped and it was as if a demon sat there whispering terrible things in her ear.
Never again. Nothing.
Just as she was starting to imagine what this demon looked like, it landed on top of her.
You brought this Virginia to life with perfection in the corresponding scene in the film. It is regrettable that the film did not have more space to devote to your Virginia. I have stated elsewhere on these forums how it is a shame that more of the scenes from the novel involving Lacke and Virginia in the hospital could not have been included in the film. I can only imagine how you could have brought Virginia to life in those scenes as well.

Thank you for the talent and skill you brought to this wonderful film.

Wolfchild
Los Gatos, CA
...the story derives a lot of its appeal from its sense of despair and a darkness in which the love of Eli and Oskar seems to shine with a strange and disturbing light.
-Lacenaire

Visit My LTROI fan page.

Return to “Guest Book”