Should Oskar have been heavier?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
CyberGhostface

Should Oskar have been heavier?

Post by CyberGhostface » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 pm

I think Kare was fantastic but how do you think it would have been if they had picked someone like Jeremy Ray Taylor (using an American example as I know very little Swedish actors) to play Oskar given how he was in the book? Would the general public have viewed it differently?
No banaaaanas?

PeteMork

Re: Should Oskar have been heavier?

Post by PeteMork » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:04 am

I suspect that if the chemistry between them was as good as between Kare and Lina, any potential problems would evaporate quickly.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Perhaps Tomas A. was more interested in the public empathy with the character, and not so much to represent Oskar's physiognomy as literally as it appears in the book.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

TA said it took him almost a year to cast Oskar and Eli. Was their shape part of it? I'm guessing not.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Finding suitable child actors is hard enough. Finding a match up, such as Thomas did, is key to a film's success. Visual aspects of a film are overwhelming on how the audience remembers the film. Look how much we associate young Lina Leandersson with Eli, even when discussing the novel.

For LTROI, I think the priority of seeking out a heavier Oskar would have been secondary (at least) to finding the right child actor match up. The audience builds up an empathy for the poor child without yet the weight issue added in.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 am

Yeah, and the wetting himself, shoplifting, inept in gym class.

IIRC, Hitchcock said he built his films around showing characters the audience likes and then putting them in danger.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 am

Sometimes, secondary to overall body image is the attractiveness of a person's face. (For some, the face is primary.) Jeremy has a rather friendly face, so I don't think this would have taken away from the character of Oskar. After appearance I suppose would be the talent of the actor to command the proper emotion from his or her audience. This is far from impossible. Any casual browsing on youtube will demonstrate that even the most unattractive person can develop a strong fan base who genuinely supports them. So yes, I believe the movie could have been just as successful with a much heavier Oskar, given the casting department knew what they were doing.
Carpe Noctem

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:49 am

I don't know about heavier but I always thought it was hilarious that Oskar was noticeably more pale than Eli in the bedroom scene
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:12 am

I think it might've made the bullying a little more understandable. But Kare made a very credible weakling, so I don't think much would've been gained.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”