For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
a_contemplative_life

(Relatively) New Review of LTROI

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:12 pm

By "Toasty Terry"... :D

gkmoberg1

Re: (Relatively) New Review of LTROI

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:51 am

A good review, with an interesting understanding on Eli.

You might watch this and say that, oh, he's partially wrong about Eli. By what he says, Eli is an older person (age not defined, but is much older Oskar) who is in a child's body. This understanding makes Eli the equivalent of Twilight's Edward Cullen (old person eternally stuck in a teenager's body) ~ this we have discussed at length elsewhere (no need to go over it again). Disagree all you like, but what he is saying is his honest understanding based on how he interpreted the film. Keep in mind, for him the two films are his source material. We don't know the order he saw them in, what we're watching is an expression of his understanding based on the two films, although he is trying to address only a review of LTROI (and not LMI). He sees Eli as wise as a result of the long longevity. But he does not express that Eli is yet young, not just in body but mind. Interesting! I'm not going to fault him; he's simply giving us his understanding via this review.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:56 pm

A good review.

I left a comment, and then read gkmoberg1's post here. Unfortunately, I sort of covered the same ground re: Eli's age, as gk. Although I didn't reference Twilight as I haven't seen it (and probably never will). I was hoping he'd reviewed other films, but sadly not yet.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 pm

And here's another new one. According to Tom Jolliffe, LTROI is now as old as Oskar was.
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2020/10/ ... ht-one-in/
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:10 am

Thanks, PeteMork. A brief but compact review. It's good to know that, 12 years later, it's still worth a new review.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”