LTROI doesn't pass the "Bechdel test"

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Pissball

LTROI doesn't pass the "Bechdel test"

Post by Pissball » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Ok, this "test" is absoloutely useless in most aspects (like most "feminist" "science") especially to determine the quality of a movie, BUT is still interesnting, it also works for the novel.

It goes like this:
1 - At least two women in it,
2 - who talk to each other,
3 - about something besides a man.

Basically is a measure of the representation of women in fiction (straight out from Wikipedia)

We have Oskar's mom and Virginia, and both, mainly Ginia, are attached to a male character (Movie Virginia is pretty lame contrasting to book Ginia, but that's spected do the time running and plot cuts)

Now, my analysis for this is, regarding charactes involved in the story:

1-It's a boy meets girl story (in which the boy is isolated and loser, and the "girl", is not only a boy but also a lonely vampire)
2- There are bullies (80% of bullies are boys I think)
3 - It does NOT touch sexual themes (so, less females for our protagonist/core story, actually female bullies could fit here)
4 - It features a obscure middle-age loner, somehow serial killer,and/or sexual creep (Those characteristics belong in a 92,7% to males)
4 - There's a group of drinking buddies (I'm pretty sure that about 89,8% of people drinking in bars are men)
5- (In the book) casts a teen gang (Once again my life experience tell me, about 90,1% of teenage hood gangs are formed mostly by boys, with girls showing up in parties/sexuality-relative themes)
6 - (Book again) casts a police officer (most of them are males)
7- And finally, we have Ivonne as the 3rd female character, not present in the movie, and still very attached to Staffan and Tommy's plot. Maybe Ivonne could had more importance, I liked her very small role in the book.

Conclusion, the lack of female characters (who intereacts each others) seems reazonable to me.

What are your thoughs on this? In which scenario could female characters be introduced here? and what do you think of the existing ones?

cmfireflies

Re: LTROI doesn't pass the "Bechdel test"

Post by cmfireflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:33 am

Wrong! Virginia asks the female nurse to open the blinds. Bechdel test = passed :P
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:50 pm

https://vimeo.com/20736490

It's a male nurse :!: :o :think:

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

The contents of your original post indicated you were speaking of the novel, not the film. You may like to edit it to establish your subject more clearly and prevent further misunderstanding.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

Pissball

Post by Pissball » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:05 pm

No. This is the film section. It's clear that's the subject matter.
The book was an addition, as usual when we discuss the film. Hence those ( in the book) ;)

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 am

Pissball wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:50 pm
https://vimeo.com/20736490

It's a male nurse :!: :o :think:
Surprised Pikachu.meme
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 am

I would never have seen the Danish film "Italian for Beginners" had I not seen LTROI and gotten into Scandinavian stuff. Oh, and the Danish film passes the Bechdel test.

I hope you get a chance to see it (or have seen it).
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”