Would you believe it's 10 years this year since it released?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
danielmann861

Would you believe it's 10 years this year since it released?

Post by danielmann861 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am

A thought occurred.

It's 2018. Our beloved film came out in 2008. Our beloved little film is almost at the 10 year mark.

Release dates:

26 January 2008 (Gothenburg)
24 October 2008 (Sweden)

So come October (given the actual release was in October from memory), this film will be 10 years old.

Went by WAY TOO QUICKLY if you ask me.

So...now that it's 10 years later, I think its time to ask the hard questions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- How do you all feel about the film today?

-- When was the last time you watched it?

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then?

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)?

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered?

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years?

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later?

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years?

-- Any regrets about the film itself? (okay maybe that's more so aimed at John Lindqvist himself. I would love if he saw this post and replied, but understandably he is a busy man and I wouldn't expect him to)

Also, perhaps it's time for a 10th anniversary Blu Ray re-release ;) (hint, hint, Criterion)...I want me a new version with new features to boot. I think it's about time we got a better retrospective look at this film.

dongregg

Re: Would you believe it's 10 years this year since it released?

Post by dongregg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 am

danielmann861 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:07 am
A thought occurred.

It's 2018. Our beloved film came out in 2008. Our beloved little film is almost at the 10 year mark.

Release dates:

24 October 2008 (Sweden)

So come October (given the actual release was in October from memory), this film will be 10 years old.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- How do you all feel about the film today? My appreciation for it has deepened since I first saw it in 2013

-- When was the last time you watched it? I streamed parts of it yesterday

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? Yes.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? I think the elements that went into it -- script, cast, photography, music, and TA's direction have come together in such a way that the film is a timeless work of art.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? It started off as fine wine and stayed.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? Nope. Did you mean LMI or LTROI? Either way, it's nope, no change.

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? I put my trust in Woofy. He says it's here to stay. Anyway, I've never belonged to a fan site before, so what do I know about expected longevity?

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? The film touched an unanticipated well of loneliness in me, and having so many good friends on the forum helps me fill that void.

-- Any regrets about the film itself? (okay maybe that's more so aimed at John Lindqvist himself. I would love if he saw this post and replied, but understandably he is a busy man and I wouldn't expect him to)

Also, perhaps it's time for a 10th anniversary Blu Ray re-release ;) (hint, hint, Criterion)...I want me a new version with new features to boot. I think it's about time we got a better retrospective look at this film.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 am

danielmann861 wrote:
A thought occurred.

Release dates:

24 October 2008 (Sweden)

-- How do you all feel about the film today? I still love it.

-- When was the last time you watched it? Last week.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? Yes.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? It's a timeless classic.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? Fine wine.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? No.

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? Yes.The Infected will always need a place to share their love for this masterpiece.

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? It saved my life.

Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

danielmann861

Post by danielmann861 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 am

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? It saved my life.
I see that being a reoccurring answer for anyone who answers here :) I don't mean that in a condescending way. I genuinely mean that it does my heart good to hear an answer like that. I've always said that I read the book at time in my life when I needed it the most and it is a book that saved my life when I needed it. It gave me hope. It gave me faith in people again. It warmed the cockles of my ever growing cynical black heart. So it really warms my heart to hear that answer from others as well :)

I guess I never really answered my own questions so allow me to answer them:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- How do you all feel about the film today? -- I love it about as much as I did back then. Which is a hell of a lot.

-- When was the last time you watched it? -- Last year around my birthday. I actually make it a habit to watch it once a year now and its usually around my birthday I find myself watching it.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? -- Yes. It's an unwavering love that never died.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? -- I think so. I think Alfredson made some really wise choices to make it seem timeless. Even though it is a period film. It still feels like a story that could be taking place in any decade and I think it goes down to the way the film is designed. You can tell it's a different time period that it is set in but unlike Let Me In (which literally reminds you its the 80's every chance it gets), it's not dominated by its time period.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? -- Like fine wine

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? -- strangely enough, yes it has. I don't hate it in the same way I once did. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as Alfredson's film and I still think it's trying way too hard to recapture lightning in a bottle, but I have come to respect it as a pretty decent copy.

For all the problems I have with it, I do think at the very least that Matt Reeves really was trying to be respectful to the source material that came before his film (if not a little TOO respectful at times to the point of copying a little too much and not changing enough to make his own version), but my harsh opinion of it has lessened a little and I have come around to somewhat respecting it a little more. Although, no one will ever convince that Chloe Moretz is better in that role (I stand by my original thought that Chloe Moretz is the weakest part of that whole movie.)

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? -- Got to be honest here, no. I really didn't think it would be. Time has changed for me. I really don't have as much free time as I once did and I don't get to visit this place as much anymore. I thought the same would happen for all of you, but I have to give you guys a lot of credit. You kept this place alive for the last ten years. Many kudos to you guys for doing so. It's pretty impressive.

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? -- In some ways my life has changed for the better and in other ways not for the better. I think I came out of my shell a lot more and forced myself to get out into the real world a little bit more.

I've been learning Japanese for a good four years (this will be my fifth year learning the language). I've made some pretty good friends in life. I wish I could say I made good friends on this board but I've got to be honest, I didn't really grow close to anyone here. Don't take that offensively, but yeah, I just never got that close to anyone here. But in real life I did get out a little bit more and start to really enjoy life.

On the negative side, I turned 30 last year and went through my year of depression. Which I've been told by other people is very common for a lot of people when they turn 30. It's like something snaps in your brain and you start to question your standing in life. You realize half your life is behind you and you start to wonder what it is you're doing in life? I went through that type of depression last year.

I think I'm coming out of it. The last four months of last year was my moment of starting to pull myself out of the hole that I put myself in. But yeah, life has changed for me. Between work and study, I really just don't have the free time I once had and I genuinely kind of miss having that free time. But in other ways, there are good things about life worth noting. Notably the fact that I can somewhat speak another language is pretty awesome and the fact that I've made great friends in said country (Japan) is pretty awesome.

I still kind of want to brave moving there for a year one day, but that would require me actually doing something about it.

Anyways, that's how my life changed over the last ten years. I went from being a meek hiding in his shell type of kid to being a somewhat braver and more willingly outgoing kind of guy.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 am

-- How do you all feel about the film today? -- I still love it.

-- When was the last time you watched it? -- It's been a while. I've only watched it three times.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? -- Yes Eli is the only character I've ever loved.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? -Yes. I feel warm and tingly inside whenever I see another list acknowledging LtROI.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? -- It's aged wonderfully.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? -- Not really. I still really hate Abby as a character and Matt Reeves as a director, but the second one is because I think he straight up lied about what LMI was about and his films keep getting good reviews even though I really don't think they're that great. There's definitely something about Reeves's films that I don't get.

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? -- I did not. Great job to Woofy for still being here 10 years later.

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? -- I finished school and got a job, so there's that.
Hey daniel, good to hear from you again. Hope things keep on getting better for you.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 am

danielmann861 wrote:

-- How do you all feel about the film today? Far more settled about it. Yet it remains a lightning rod of inspiration for me.

-- When was the last time you watched it? Ouch. Not sure. Somewhere within the last six months.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? No. But that in no way is indicates any falling away from it.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? It has! The nature of how it was done leaves it, oddly, largely outside any particular time frame. [1]

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? Definitely a fine wine.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? Yes. [2]

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? No. And did not expect it to yet be so widely visited and with such an active membership. [3]

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? In many ways! Nearly all good.

-- Any regrets about the film itself? (okay maybe that's more so aimed at John Lindqvist himself. I would love if he saw this post and replied, but understandably he is a busy man and I wouldn't expect him to) I will be sure to ask John when I see him next. As for me, I have none except that I was unaware of it when it was originally in the theaters and so missed it.
[1] There is not much in the film that ties it to a particular time frame -ex: a product of 2008 and not 2018. However, not being at all familiar with life in Sweden, now or then, I am distanced from being able to realize likely many things that could cause a Swedish national to state otherwise.

[2] Let Me In, to me, is a work of fan-fiction. I even consider LTODD to be a fan-fiction - simply one that was created by the original author. But as to whether my opinion of LMI has changed: yes, it has. I'd need to thank some of our fanfic authors for that.

[3] Not that I mind!

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 am

I'm more than twice as old as I was when this film was first released. That's breathtaking to think about.

To give a few quick answers, my passion for the story (novel and the adaptations all) has evolved, but remained as strong as it ever was. Maybe even stronger, because of all the things that happened to and around me in that decade between my first exposure and where I am today. It's part of me, and as I've learned to love myself I've grown to love this strange, sad, joyous little tale all the more for the parts of myself I see reflected back. Time has definitely treated it well, and even if I'm more critical (or perhaps just less blindly adoring) than I was when I was a kid, that hasn't hurt my appreciation of LtROI one bit.

My life...phew. Puberty, middle school, high school, college. First kiss at the start of this year. First date two weeks ago. I lost deep connections and found new ones that have their roots buried so deep in me that to rip them out would take my heart with it. I nearly died, thrice. Welcomed a new sister into the family. Became employed, then unemployed, then employed again. Lost and found myself over and over again. I drowned in a pool of despair only to be pulled out by the hands of the people who loved me.

Time flies.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

Kelsiermist.

Post by Kelsiermist. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 am

danielmann861 wrote:
A thought occurred.

Release dates:

24 October 2008 (Sweden)

-- How do you all feel about the film today? It still wonderful,just like the first time i saw it. I remember a time in college, for a few week, when i arrived to my home and put the movie each thursday (or friday) on DVD.

-- When was the last time you watched it? Like a half year ago, because i have to deal with the university.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then? Without any doubt, it's a marvellous film and a beautiful story.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)? Yeah, maybe, just i wish to be more popular in my near circles.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered? Definitely had aged fine.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years? Yeah, recently seem again, and seriuosly, it looks like the american actors just tried to copy the performance of the sweden actors, more than ever i think that is a heartless movie, was really disapointed.

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later? Houpfully yes. (This is the very first time i wrote in te forum and hope make it for a long time).

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years? Its been ups and downs, tried to keep a positive perspective of the things, they would get better, it's just about keep going.

Wow, the first time i participate in the forum, maybe is not a large post, but is surprising how the time had run, and still in love with the story and the characters (specially with Eli). I'm gonna continue reading and be pending of the forum.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi, Sparty.

Basically yes to all your questions.

I first saw it in Showtime in March 2013. Spent from then until July 2013 reading blogs (like IMDb) until I joined WTI.

The film grabbed me at once, starting with the opening credits. I last watched it a few months ago. Sublime.

I have not found any reason to watch LMI.

As participation dropped, I have worried about the health of the forum, but Woofy has assured us that it will go on. And the forum continues to attract new members. There are also new fan fics and art.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 am

-- How do you all feel about the film today?

It is still one of my favorite films. It's sort of in the back of my mind when I watch new films as a measure of comparison, in terms of quality. I haven't really seen too many films since LTROI that match its perfection.

-- When was the last time you watched it?

I have not watched it all the way through since we did the podcast recording some time ago. However, I have seen it so many times that I can pretty much watch it in my head anytime I want. And I still listen to the music pretty regularly.

-- Do you still love it in the same way that you did back then

No, I don't think my mind is nearly as captivated by the story as it once was. Which is probably a good thing, since I prefer a sense of inner equilibrium. I still love it deeply, but I don't necessarily think about it every day like I once did.

-- Has time treated it well (in your opinion)?

I think so. People are still discovering it and doing reviews of it. I don't think it is controversial to say that most fair-minded people appreciate what a great film it is. I believe that recognition will remain for a very long time.

-- Has the film aged like fine wine or soured and withered?

Definitely fine wine.

-- Has your opinion changed on Let Me In over the years?

I haven't seen LMI again since it first came out, I guess because there were so many things about it that I disliked. Maybe I should give it another shot, though.

-- Did you think this forum would still be alive ten years later?

Yes I did, because I understood Woofy's dedication to keeping it up since the time I joined. It was to be expected that the level of activity would diminish. That is natural, and not something that should generate any anxiety.

-- (personal question) How have your lives changed over the past ten years?

Well, I went from my '40s to my '50s. So, quite abit although I feel like I'm the same person inside. ;)

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”