Skype Call to Talk LTROI

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
SpartanAltego

Re: Skype Call to Talk LTROI

Post by SpartanAltego » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

12/2 I will be at work and likely indisposed until around 8PM Eastern, can't account for 12/9 availability as of yet but my usual best free periods are Fridays and Sundays most any time. Beyond that, I'm usually free past 6PM Eastern or prior to 11am Eastern.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 am

Both are fine by me.Glad to have you on board Spartan.I think we're about 16 hours ahead of the east coast of USA (we're on Australian Eastern Standard Time) but as I'm retired I can get up anytime.All I need is coffee and good company. :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 am

A few other things to consider about this call...

1. Does anyone have concerns about revealing their real name during the call?

2. Does anyone have any opinion about whether we should record the call in some way to preserve the conversation?

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 am

I don't have any reservation about my first name, at least. I did give it in my introductory post, after all. As for recording the call...hm, that could make a good memento. I'm for the idea, so long as we're all clear about any content guidelines so to speak whilst on-record.
"The dark is patient, and it always wins. But its weakness lies in its strength: a single candle is enough to hold it at bay. Love is more than a candle. Love can ignite the stars." - Matthew Stover

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:31 am

Certainly no problems with my name. I also have no problem with a recording.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 am

I'm fine with it.Geoff here.It would be great if we could record it too.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 am

This is getting exciting.I've already re watched the movie and now I'm re reading the book and this time I'm taking notes.So be afraid,very afraid. :lol: :lol: I watched the movie with a friend and she seemed to love it but I'm pretty sure she wasn't infected.Why is that?..We were pushed over the edge into infection but most people aren't.Strange.. :think:

SpartanAltego

Post by SpartanAltego » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 am

ltroifanatic wrote:This is getting exciting.I've already re watched the movie and now I'm re reading the book and this time I'm taking notes.So be afraid,very afraid. :lol: :lol: I watched the movie with a friend and she seemed to love it but I'm pretty sure she wasn't infected.Why is that?..We were pushed over the edge into infection but most people aren't.Strange.. :think:
I had a similar experience when I did a shared viewing with a pair of friends, and discovered that while one was quite taken with it as I was (he was excited to rewatch after first showing it to him over eight years ago), my other friend was intrigued by ultimately not as connected. I realized that is probably has do to a lot with life experiences and outlooks: how familiar are you with the loneliness and isolation the protagonists feel? How willing were you to give up anything and everything for a scrap of emotional comfort? It's a niche appeal, and many people lack either the experience or mentality to think from such a perspective and empathize with it.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:24 am

SpartanAltego wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:This is getting exciting.I've already re watched the movie and now I'm re reading the book and this time I'm taking notes.So be afraid,very afraid. :lol: :lol: I watched the movie with a friend and she seemed to love it but I'm pretty sure she wasn't infected.Why is that?..We were pushed over the edge into infection but most people aren't.Strange.. :think:
I had a similar experience when I did a shared viewing with a pair of friends, and discovered that while one was quite taken with it as I was (he was excited to rewatch after first showing it to him over eight years ago), my other friend was intrigued by ultimately not as connected. I realized that is probably has do to a lot with life experiences and outlooks: how familiar are you with the loneliness and isolation the protagonists feel? How willing were you to give up anything and everything for a scrap of emotional comfort? It's a niche appeal, and many people lack either the experience or mentality to think from such a perspective and empathize with it.
Well, yes, there's the emotional connection, but my connection was more the aesthetic appreciation of what I was seeing (and hearing) unfold. As I wrote before, it started for me with the opening credits, the night snowstorm, and the taxi ride. The music. The ambient sounds. The photography.

Then there is the unexpected realism, the scruffy life she leads. Plus the audience is rooting for the monster instead of for the victims. Cute little monster, isn't she? I say that tongue in cheek. I'm crazy about Eli/Lina.

And aren't the real monsters really the bullies and the indifferent adults?
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 am

Oh, and I've introduced a lot of people to it. They ranged from bored to really really liking it but not infected. I even have a small local "following" for parts of Set Me As a Seal as they come out of my keyboard, but none of them have gone the route we have, which is reading every movie review and blog until we found a home here. :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”