Another LTROI Review

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Hassildor

Another LTROI Review

Post by Hassildor » Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 am

Interesting to hear the perspective of someone who has clearly read a number of JAL's books. It allows the review to avoid repeating the whole "Is Oskar going to become the next Håkan???" narrative we've all heard so many times.
In this sense, Alfredson has preserved the queasy nature of Lindqvist’s work. As in his deeply unsettling Little Star, Lindqvist is concerned with the culling and cultivation of violence and violent impulses in youth, the ways in which an innocent love can tease out a terrifying true nature. Here, however, as in Little Star, that inner monster serves as the bridge to emotional connection.

When Oskar discovers she’s a vampire, she soothes him by saying he’s as bloodthirsty as her. Oskar wants to kill as much she needs to. It’s love as bloodlust, and it’s a revelation from which he’ll never turn back.

In his review, Roger Ebert described Oskar and Eli as “two lonely and desperate kids capable of performing dark deeds without apparent emotion.”

In other words, they’re an outcast’s fantasy come true.

Considering all this, it’s perhaps surprising that the film has been so embraced as a love story. Think about it, though, and it makes sense: Love stories about weirdos have become as routine as any other rom-com. In those films, weirdos are hoarders or socially awkward or have kooky families. Here, we have monsters. Here, we have the lost. It makes sense, perhaps, that the only person Oskar could love is a pale, ageless bloodsucker.

In the end, they ride off together in a train, she in a box, he accompanying it. She taps on it, spelling out “kiss” in Morse Code. He taps back, “puss,” which stands for “small kiss” in Swedish. It’s a sweet moment, but also a scary one. Because it won’t be long until that kiss becomes a bite.

“Be me, for a little while,” she said to him previously.

As with so many relationships, however, “a little while” is about to turn into “forever.”

It makes you wonder if he let the right one in, after all.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/05/ ... bloodlust/

ltroifanatic

Re: Another LTROI Review

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 am

Very interesting insights to the nature of the relationship.You can see the face of ecstacy on Oskar's face when he hits back.I found Little Star to be very confronting and my wife scalded me for giving it to her..haha..but LTROI is too.Although Little Star's tragedy seems to be trivial when compared to LTROI.Somehow LTROI's love story is so much more tragic and at the same time so sweet.But hey I'm biased.Another excellent review.Thanks for sharing :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed May 10, 2017 4:28 am

Very refreshing! Thanks! 8-)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am

This is actually one of the most thought-provoking reviews I've read in years. Thanks for posting it. I also found it interesting that he found the title, "Let Me In" lacking. I got into a heated discussion about this with someone on a "Let Me In" site before the film actually came out. I had exactly the same concern, later fully justified, with Reeves' replacement of "The Right One" with "Me".
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 am

JAL said the American producers thought "Let the Right One In" was too long a title. JAL then said he was afraid they would want him to shorten his name! :mrgreen:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

intrige

Post by intrige » Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 pm

It is a really nice review indeed! And to be honest, despite th hopeless romantic I am, I do agree. They are monsters, but that's what makes their love so interesting.
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 pm

What a great review. :D

I especially like the idea that Oskar wasn't so much afraid of his tormentors but of what he would become if he fought back ... and that Eli released it.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

Hassildor

Post by Hassildor » Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 pm

I think the way he wove Oskar's experiences with his own really did it for me. It made the analysis (which I agree was really interesting) feel super personal.
The review is part of a series on critically acclaimed "horror" films, all of which seem to be pretty well thought out.

https://consequenceofsound.net/category ... ific-year/

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 pm

It does look like it will be a pretty dark future for the two of them, which is what makes their falling for each other so interesting.

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 am

Wow great review.
In any other movie, Eli’s arrival would soften Oskar. That’s what love’s supposed to do, isn’t it? Not here. This isn’t the story of a love that repairs a broken heart and smooths away the hard edges. Eli is a creature of violence; she’s lonely, sure, but the connection she seeks isn’t the kind we’d typically describe as love. The same goes for Oskar, who, being only 11 years old, longs not for love so much as somebody with whom to go steady. He falls for her precisely because she tells him to do what society tells him not to, which is to fight back, to make his bullies bleed and suffer.

Although I'd like to think that Eli and Oskar do soften each other. When Oskar saves Eli and witnesses Lacke's death, he learns that murderous power isn't quite as great as in his fantasies. When Eli saves Oskar at the pool, she learns that being a vampire has some upsides. They complete each other.
It is a really nice review indeed! And to be honest, despite th hopeless romantic I am, I do agree. They are monsters, but that's what makes their love so interesting.
They're too sweet to be monsters intrige.
It does look like it will be a pretty dark future for the two of them, which is what makes their falling for each other so interesting.
Well, yeah. Vampires don't do so well in the sun.
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”