The Child as a Vampire in Let The Right One In

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in

a_contemplative_life

Re: The Child as a Vampire in Let The Right One In

Post by a_contemplative_life » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:38 am

I tried to post a comment. Not sure if it stuck.

gattoparde59

Post by gattoparde59 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 pm

I think this review gets it backwards. Let the Right One In is not about what self-absorbed adults think of little monster kids. The story is told from Oskar's point of view and is about what a child thinks of the adults who have turned their backs on him.

I'll break open the story and tell you what is there. Then, like the others that have fallen out onto the sand, I will finish with it, and the wind will take it away.

Nisa

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 am

A very interesting review.Another thing to ponder about.I must say that I agree with gattoparde's take on it.As born out by TA's interview about how he wanted the scenes with adults shot.Hardly there.Thats how Oskar sees them,not self absorbed but not being there for him.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 am

Everyone's allowed their own opinion! But where this particular opinion comes from is someplace I've not been.

There's so many odd takes herein on the story told in the movie. I am not sure where to begin or end.

"While Let the Right One In borrows from the vampire tradition, it contributes to vampire culture by using the child vampire to suggest adult anxieties about the violent potential of children." Wow.

Yet, I'm glad K.Zollo has voiced his thoughts.

I've not read the cited papers. Perhaps then I'd understand where some of this comes from. Maybe.

sauvin

Post by sauvin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 am

It's not such a stretch. Some of it, in fact, is rather implicit. I was rather amused by the few seconds in LMI where the TV is broadcasting a Public Service Announcement to the effect of "It's 8:00 PM. Do you know where your kids are?", but Mom wasn't there to see it.

I never went into places where this treatment went, either. LTROI (movie) and LMI are told mostly from the kids' POVs, and my own assertion is that we tend to respond to the movie as the children we once were.
Fais tomber les barrières entre nous qui sommes tous des frères

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”