It's a Love Story!

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
a_contemplative_life

Re: It's a Love Story!

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 am

I think Oskar came across as a bit rude when he spoke Eli's name back to her. He's like, what? "Eli"? Fortunately, Eli didn't notice or chose not to make an issue of it. :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:I think Oskar came across as a bit rude when he spoke Eli's name back to her. He's like, what? "Eli"? Fortunately, Eli didn't notice or chose not to make an issue of it. :D
Well, to the extent that it seemed odd to him, as is how I take it. Rude in that he took exception to the name rather than saying his name back.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:09 am

Kids are like that.They haven't had enough time to get sensitive about a lot of things.They say goofy things and just shrug them off.Pity adults can't be a little more like that.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 am

ltroifanatic wrote:Kids are like that.They haven't had enough time to get sensitive about a lot of things.They say goofy things and just shrug them off.Pity adults can't be a little more like that.
QFT. Definitely part of the charm of the film. They haven't fully formed their sense of self-righteousness yet.
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Re:

Post by dongregg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 pm

PeteMork wrote:
ltroifanatic wrote:Kids are like that.They haven't had enough time to get sensitive about a lot of things.They say goofy things and just shrug them off.Pity adults can't be a little more like that.
QFT. Definitely part of the charm of the film. They haven't fully formed their sense of self-righteousness yet.
JAL's screenplay impressed me with his accurate presentation of 12-year-olds. I think "You smell funny" is perfect -- instead of and the frank "You stink!" of a younger child and embarrassed reticence that an adolescent might experience.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:19 am

Drakeule wrote: I know the right way to pronounce it, but I could swear it sounds like Ellie when Lina says it. And I've seen plenty of times to know I wasn't hearing things. P.S. not starting anything here.
I'm always going to pronounce it 'Eelee' but I think JAL meant for it to sound like Ellie. Another hint might come from that part in the book where Eli thinks the "cowboy-man" from the show Dallas is talking to him. (Miss Ellie?)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 am

jkwilliams wrote:
Drakeule wrote: I know the right way to pronounce it, but I could swear it sounds like Ellie when Lina says it. And I've seen plenty of times to know I wasn't hearing things. P.S. not starting anything here.
I'm always going to pronounce it 'Eelee' but I think JAL meant for it to sound like Ellie. Another hint might come from that part in the book where Eli thinks the "cowboy-man" from the show Dallas is talking to him. (Miss Ellie?)
I'm with metoo on this. If you look up Swedish alphabet sites, you will probably find, as I did, there is only one phoneme for E in the first position; i.e., only one IPA symbol. Unlike English, where we regularly change vowel sounds depending on whether the following consonant is single or double (hoped, hopped; scared, scarred), metoo seemed to imply that there is a short spectrum of sounds that would fit into the E phoneme. If that's true, then Elie an Ellie would "sound" approximately the same to our little Eli. But not to us because we have two distinct phonemes for E as in Eel and E as in El.

Just saying...

Edit: But we all know that the relationship in English of orthography to pronunciation is broken, probably beyond repair. GBS tried to lead the charge in his day. He pointed out that FISH and GHOTI could both be pronounced "fish." :lol:

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”