It's a Love Story!

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
a_contemplative_life

It's a Love Story!

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 am

Refreshing to see someone never mentioning the "Eli is just going to use Oskar" motif.

dongregg

Re: It's a Love Story!

Post by dongregg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 am

Good find. The beating heart of the film is the love these loveless kids discover for each other. I mean, the kiss when she says goodbye forever after she kills Lacke...
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 am

Yeah, that was quite remarkable. Although, in my experience you don't hear these YouTubers talk about it too much. I guess it must make some folks uncomfortable.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:18 am

The reviewer really gets it.Maybe they don't mention the kiss scene because they mistake it for some sort of prelude to sex.I don't mind the cat scene at all.It may not be the best CGI but it's still very effective.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

intrige

Post by intrige » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 pm

It almost feel like she is bragging about my baby, I love it. :D She gets it alright, she could e on thos forum for sure!
Bulleri bulleri buck, hur många horn står upp

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:54 am

And to top it off, she pronounces "Eli" right, too. ;)
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

Drakeule

Post by Drakeule » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 am

PeteMork wrote:And to top it off, she pronounces "Eli" right, too. ;)
I know the right way to pronounce it, but I could swear it sounds like Ellie when Lina says it. And I've seen plenty of times to know I wasn't hearing things. P.S. not starting anything here.

PeteMork

Post by PeteMork » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 am

Drakeule wrote:
PeteMork wrote:And to top it off, she pronounces "Eli" right, too. ;)
I know the right way to pronounce it, but I could swear it sounds like Ellie when Lina says it. And I've seen plenty of times to know I wasn't hearing things. P.S. not starting anything here.
I think you're right; I noticed that too, but right after that, when Oskar repeats it back to her, he says 'Eelie'. Maybe JAL made it ambiguous on purpose. :mrgreen:
We never stop reading, although every book comes to an end, just as we never stop living, although death is certain. (Roberto Bolaño)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:21 am

I would submit that Swedish phonemes are tricky, even for Swedes. One Swedish member maintained for a while that it sounds the same to him whether it's Eli saying her name or Oskar saying it back. To me, it's clearly Elli followed by Eeli.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 am

dongregg wrote:I would submit that Swedish phonemes are tricky, even for Swedes.
Speaking for myself don't find uttering Swedish phonemes tricky. Explaining them, though, is another matter...
dongregg wrote:One Swedish member maintained for a while that it sounds the same to him whether it's Eli saying her name or Oskar saying it back. To me, it's clearly Elli followed by Eeli
I did, and I do. Part of mastering a language is knowing (or feeling, rather) what variations are allowed, and what are considered strange. So, because your ears have been trained to a different soundscape that mine, you perceive sounds differently, and hear differences where I don't.

An interesting example of this is the way Dutch perceive three sounds in a continuum where English and Swedish hear only two, namely regarding the [f] and [v] sounds. Dutch has a distinct intermediate sound in between those (witch is written V). It is quite hard to pronounce right. My Dutch teacher told us that you should practice uttering a normal (English) V while blowing air between your teeth and lip as if you were saying an F. Here's a YouTube video on the subject.

Conclusively, there probably actually are differences in the ways Kåre and Lina pronounce the E at the beginning of "Eli", but to me as a native Swedish speaker they both fall well within what is considered a proper Swedish "E".
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”