Dags å välja sida

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
jkwilliams

Dags å välja sida

Post by jkwilliams » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:18 pm

The second time Oskar visits his father, you can hear a little song called Dags å välja sida (Time to choose a side) playing in the background while the two of them are having fun with a game. Here's a translation of those lyrics. Thanks to metoo.
It's time to reflect now
It's time to reflect now
How's it going in your own neighborhood
With what they're calling worker's power
It's time to reflect now

(instrumental break)

It's time to stop hiding
It's time to stop hiding
However you wriggle and twirl
Your part of it all is bigger than you think
It's time to stop hiding
It's time to stop dreaming now
It's time to stop dreaming now...
The last line you hear is, "It's time to stop dreaming now." That's where the music stops and Oskar's dream comes to an end. His father's drinking buddy has shown up and now he has to face reality again. It was just too good to last. The song is about choosing sides and this scene is where Oskar finally gives up on his father and chooses Eli.

Makes me wonder about the song Kvar i min bil. Oskar plays it twice in the film and both times he stops the record in the very same spot. Right after the line, “Du måste ge dej av.”

a_contemplative_life

Re: Dags å välja sida

Post by a_contemplative_life » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:57 am

That's digging right deep, gents--thanks for the effort. I thought maybe no stone was left unturned regarding LTROI, but clearly that isn't the case!

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 am

Yea thanks for pointing that out.That's one of the many reasons I love this movie (masterpiece).The amount of detail that it has.Tiny little things that catch your eye or ear that many directors wouldn't have bothered with.Plus it's a rocking little song. :)
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 am

ltroifanatic wrote:Yea thanks for pointing that out.That's one of the many reasons I love this movie (masterpiece).The amount of detail that it has.Tiny little things that catch your eye or ear that many directors wouldn't have bothered with.Plus it's a rocking little song. :)
There are a couple of things I've noticed with the song Försonade in the basement scene. When Eli turns on the tape recorder the first line you hear is "le lite grann" (smile a little) and she responds with a little smile. :)

The other one is Oskar's reaction to the line, "Ta nu min hand och krama den hårt" (Now take my hand and squeeze it hard). That line seems to be what triggers him into cutting his hand and wanting to become blood brothers.

And here's a silly one. When Eli wanders into the hospital lobby she tells the nurse at the front desk she's looking for her "pappa." The song you hear playing is called Längtans blomma är störst på håll and it was written by Hans Alfredson and Tage Danielsson.

Hans is Tomas Alfredson's "pappa." :D
Last edited by jkwilliams on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:05 am

Wonderful,wonderful,wonderful ! . :D :D :D
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 am

Way cool, JK!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 am

Amazing! The things we continue to find out about this movie, even after all this time, delight me.

Marlow

Post by Marlow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:11 am

I assume the translation of "Du maaste ge dej av" is "You must give you" or "yourself?"

Also, Oskar's father makes a choice here as well.

It seems every sound was chosen most carefully, beyond most movies. Such obsessiveness is rare, Antonioni comes to mind.
Du luktar konstigt

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:53 am

Marlow wrote:I assume the translation of "Du maaste ge dej av" is "You must give you" or "yourself?"
"Ge sig av" means depart, leave.

In the context of Per Gessle's song, "du måste ge dig av" thus means "you had to go" or "you had to leave".
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Since we're looking at the integration of several background audio selections, I am curious if someone can tell me what is being said on radio when Håkan is cleaning his kit.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”