Dags å välja sida

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
metoo

Re: Dags å välja sida

Post by metoo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Marlow wrote:Thank you, metoo. Google translate gave the translation "You had to give you the" which is obviously not correct.
If you translate "du måste ge dig av" word by word, you get: "you must give you off", which is just gibberish.
However, this is not easy: In a different context "ge sig" might mean "surrender", "give up". :P
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Oskar listens to Kvar i min bil while going through his scrapbook and hums it to himself after the bullies stuff his pants in the urinal. I think it's become more than just a song to him, it's also the dark side of himself that he keeps hidden from everyone else, except Eli. When Eli tells him she's "The same as you", Oskar knows he's finally found someone he can share his secret with.

Försonade is a love song about someone asking forgiveness and pledging their love. I don't think it's a coincidence that Eli is the one who plays this. She wants to be with Oskar but doesn't know if he'll accept her for what she is or what she's done. He does. :wub:

The songs remind me a little of the Rubik's Cube because they can all represent characters trying to reach out to someone else. I don't know if that was their intention but it works out that way.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:21 am

metoo wrote:
Marlow wrote:I assume the translation of "Du maaste ge dej av" is "You must give you" or "yourself?"
"Ge sig av" means depart, leave.

In the context of Per Gessle's song, "du måste ge dig av" thus means "you had to go" or "you had to leave".
Right, metoo. The scene is this: The singer in sitting behind the wheel of his car. The girlfriend or whoever has gotten out of the car and is standing beside it. She tells the singer, "You must be off" or "you must get yourself gone" or something that means "you have to leave."
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

dongregg wrote:
metoo wrote:
Marlow wrote:I assume the translation of "Du maaste ge dej av" is "You must give you" or "yourself?"
"Ge sig av" means depart, leve

In the context of Per Gessle's song, "du måste ge dig av" thus means "you had to go" or "you had to leave".
Right, metoo. The scene is this: The singer in sitting behind the wheel of his car. The girlfriend or whoever has gotten out of the car and is standing beside it. She tells the singer, "You must be off" or "you must get yourself gone" or something that means "you have to leave."
Well, the way I understand the lyrics it's about what a man is thinking while drivning his car the day after his girlfriend left.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm

metoo wrote: ...Well, the way I understand the lyrics it's about what a man is thinking while driving his car the day after his girlfriend left.
Yes and no. Yes because of the past tense "said." No because her line “Du måste ge dej av” is in quotes. As he drives, he's remembering what she said after she got out of the car and while he was still sitting there behind the wheel.

See http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Gessle-Kv ... yrics.html
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 pm

dongregg wrote:
metoo wrote: ...Well, the way I understand the lyrics it's about what a man is thinking while driving his car the day after his girlfriend left.
Yes and no. Yes because of the past tense "said." No because her line “Du måste ge dej av” is in quotes. As he drives, he's remembering what she said after she got out of the car and while he was still sitting there behind the wheel.

See http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Gessle-Kv ... yrics.html
Regarding the quotes, I would like to see an original source of the lyrics...

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”