Story Cross (Fanfiction) Let The Right One In / Warm Bodies

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Marri Lightning

Story Cross (Fanfiction) Let The Right One In / Warm Bodies

Post by Marri Lightning » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:04 am

WE, THE INFECTED: FANFICTION "BE LIKE ME"

From Let The Right One In and Warm Bodies.

Anyone who has seen both of these movies, and hopefully enjoyed both immensly like I have, probably thought of something like this. After seeing both, I actually thought of a nice fanfiction where ideas from both of these movies are combined.

My fanfiction idea is called Be Like Me. I won't write the story (I only write my own unique books because I write to try and get my works officially published) but I'd encourage anyone who wanted to attempt something like it, hey, why not? :D

In the story Be Like Me, there's a society of survivor humans living in a compound surrounded by a wall, like in Warm Bodies. The outside world is infested with vampires (clearly defined, rather than the ambiguous term Corpses of the only half zombie creatures we know from this movie). The humans survive from the vampires, who always go out to hunt for food (the scavenging humans).

One vampire in particular, the short, timid and white-blond haired Katie, retains her humanlike regret, and forcibly ignores her impulse to attack humans upon sight. When out in a group, she always hangs back while the group tears apart the humans they find, and then when everyone else has finished feeding, she slinks in from the sidelines and drinks the remaining blood left over, feeling that she does not deserve to take part in the main feeding since she didn't help earn it with the rest of the group. She feels guilty every time she drinks, but tells herself it's drink or die.

Katie and a human named Marri first encounter each other when she and her group of vampires happen upon his scavenging group. A few of the humans are killed; others realize the vampire group is too big to fight and they escape. Katie, however, spots Marri hiding behind a store shelf, and knows he cannot make it; he will either hide until he is inevitably sniffed out in a few seconds, or try to run and fail because he's too far from the door to avoid getting jumped.

Katie, her heart bursting, grabs him and drags him off, making as if to feed from him privately, but her hand is slapped over his mouth, which he knows means something different than that. He struggles to escape from her once they're far from the vampire group, but she doesn't bite him. Instead she gently sets him down and shyly tries to talk to him.

Initially he's terrified, but slowly over the course of that encounter, he grows a little comfortable with her since she's not ripping his neck open. She explains who she is and how she is compared to the other vampires. She explains all about the vampires, how they're almost as accurate as the classics: they can't eat human's food or drink human's drink, they can't survive in the sun because they'll get burned, and they live about twice as long as humans (not immortal). Average lifespan of a vampire is about 160 years.

Katie lets Marri go soon, begging him to return and see her sometime at the same place (it's a gas station with a convenience store), as she frequents that place. It is usually left alone, and she goes to places like that, too disgusted by her fellow vampires' barbaric attacking natures to want to spend time around them.

Marri visits her again soon, sneaking out of the compound. He is able to get out rather easily since his parents are dead and therefore he is part of a "group" family who has loose restrictions. His visits grow quite frequent, almost every day. He and Katie talk a lot and get to know each other well. Marri notices over time that Katie appears to be a little hungry all the time, and she confesses that, although she drinks enough to survive, her little post-group feeding swallows aren't satisfying enough to keep her 100% healthy. She's a little paler than the other vampires, and has circles under her eyes. Her super strength also isn't as potent as the other vampires. Marri, sympathizing, persuades a reluctant Katie to have a little of his blood. He gives her his knife, and she carefully cuts a small slit in his neck, drinking without contaminating him.

He allows her to do this frequently during his multiple visits, but once she accidentally goes just a bit overboard, leaving him a little dizzy. He cannot walk very well, so she stays with him, keeping him safe and hidden from the other vampires until he's able to walk on his own, then leads him back toward the survivors compound to ensure his safety. After he gets inside though, one of his friends, Navir March, questions him about the "mysterious girl" he saw Marri with outside the compound. Marri tells Navir that the girl is a self-survivor who fled the compound months ago, wishing to be on her own. To keep her safe, Marri tells Navir that the girl refuses to give him her name and is always changing her location far across the towns. However, as their conversation ends, Navir notices the cut on Marri's neck and is quietly suspicious.

The next time Marri goes out, Navir tails him and confronts both him and Katie. Becoming terrified and feeling betrayed, Navir threatens to return to the compound and tell everyone about Katie unless Marri kills her. Marri raises his gun to Navir and tells him to back off, enforcing the message that Katie is nothing like the others. Navir calms down, realizing that Marri is right, as Katie would have already killed them both by now (and still looks a bit hungry at this time in fact). He apologizes and warns Marri that if the others find out, they won't hesitate to kill Katie and possibly Marri too, under the assumption that he is infected due to the cut on his neck. He returns alone to the compound, and is faced with the question from a few others as to why Marri has been going out alone. Navir realizes, regretfully, that he was caught sneaking out after Marri, and the others know that Navir was trying to figure out the answer to that question.

Navir isn't as good a liar as Marri, and the others know something's up. They decide Marri must be in some kind of danger, getting manipulated and somehow used by the vampires, and they organize a hunt-and-rescue party to retrieve Marri and kill whoever is holding him. Frightened, Navir slips out a side exit and runs to tell Marri and Katie that she's in danger. However, a female vampire snatches him up before he can find them. He begs her to let him go, as her fellow vampire Katie is going to be killed, but this vampire (Suli) scorns his warning, telling him none of them care for the "half-vamp Katie". She mocks how adorable he is to try to save his friend and a cowardly vampire, and bites his neck, draining and killing him as he tries to scream for his friend.

Marri and Katie hear the approaching group, however, and they hear guns blazing. Marri, realizing that isn't an ordinary scavenging group out there, tells Katie to run. She has (since Navir's earlier departure) drank a little of his blood again, and over time with his givings, she has grown stronger and healthier. She knows she can run faster now, and easily escape the humans. However, she doesn't want to leave Marri in his freshly drained state, as he isn't strong enough to escape the vampires on his own, and considering how slow he is and how far from the human rescue group, he will be killed by vampires before he can be saved, if he tries to head over to where the group is. He begs her to run and save herself, knowing she can't run fast enough if she has to carry him.

Katie is faced with terrible indecision. She knows the humans will reach the convenience store area soon if they don't find Marri first, and they may kill Marri anyway after seeing his weakened condition instead of saving him (because they'll think he's infected). Growing emotional, Katie whispers into Marri's ear that there is only one solution. She tearfully confesses that she has fallen in love with him some time ago, and wants him to be with her, to be like her (hence the name of this fanfiction). She kisses his neck softly, and then bites it, right over the cut. She drinks some of his blood, and then she grabs his knife and cuts a slit in the side of her own neck, begging him to drink too, as this will speed up his transformation considerably and give them enough time to escape.

Marri drinks, and in just minutes he has passed out, woken up and regained his strength and more. Together he and Katie run, but they are spotted by a scattered group of vampires, who are running from the rescue party. The vampires see the love between a human and one of their own and are shocked. They run in the same direction. Developing a new kind of respect for Katie's ways, they follow Katie and Marri far out to a lonely country road many miles from the area the rescue party is covering.

The group of vampires meets up with them both and approaches slowly in peace. They incredulously question Katie and Marri about their relationship, revealing what they saw. Katie and Marri share a romantic gaze and Katie whispers that she has done nothing more than claim the boy she loves. Marri, overwhelmed by her beautiful words, kisses her, and the other vampires look on in admiration. Soon the rescue party returns defeatedly to the compound, and later that evening Katie and Marri and their vampire friends return to the main vampire city. Having been bitten by Katie, Marri quickly discovers that his vampire nature is identical to hers: he is reluctant to hurt any humans even though he has the urge to feed.

Slowly word begins to spread around the vampire community that there may be vampire-sympathetic humans among the survivors compound. More than half of the vampires scorn this news and they vampire colony breaks into two: a 2/3 size group of vampires who continue to be carnivorous, and a smaller, 1/3 size group following Katie and Marri's example. Two of Marri's other friends from his group home in the compound, Lan and Jay, refuse to believe he's dead if his body hasn't been found. Knowing how rare it is for vampires to willingly transform humans into their own, they decide that Marri must be held hostage somewhere, or something worse. They scout for Marri, but are discovered simultaneously by both vampire groups. Initially shocked by the division, but convinced of the vampires' sincere reformation by Marri's reassuring appearance, they join the smaller group, all the while glancing nervously about, expecting to be bitten. Surprisingly, the other vampires are able to hold back their instincts and allow Lan and Jay in without attacking.

Angered, the larger group of vampires attacks the smaller one, deciding to kill them all to "re-purify" the colony and restore its status of having only "true" vampires. Led by Suli (the vampire who killed Navir), they advance on the smaller group. The reformed vampires along with Lan and Jay fight bravely but are obviously becoming overwhelmed fast, and during the skirmish Suli snatches up Lan and brags out loud (so Marri can hear) about how she killed Navir. She then bites Lan's neck, intending to rip it out and kill him, but a furious Marri leaps on her, saving Lan, who crawls weakly away, bitten and bleeding. Suli sinks her teeth into Marri's neck, wanting to infect him with her own nature so he becomes a "true" vampire. She's doing this more to break Katie's heart before killing her than for any other purpose. Katie flies into a rage and grabs Lan's fallen gun, shooting Suli in multiple places to torture her before finally blasting her in the brain. Going to pieces, she cradles Marri and begs him not to change. However, she quickly realizes that Marri is still the same; evidently since he's already a vampire, he can't really become "re-infected".

The smaller group, harboring Lan, retreats toward the compound, led by Jay, who leaps in the air, waving his arms, pointing at the group he's with and screaming up to the watchtowers "the vampires are friends!" over and over. They advance into the compound, allowed in by an armed group that points their guns at the vampires and demands that Jay come forward. However, they almost instantly spot Marri, and then they realize that none of these vampires are attacking them. Furthermore baffled by the approaching group of vicious vampires that are obviously intending to kill the smaller group, the humans reluctantly let the little group in, leading them deep inside the compound with several dozen beads pointed at them the whole time.

Marri, Katie, Jay and a slowly recovering Lan (now a vampire) explain the situation. The humans are more convinced by the vampires' refusal to attack them than by the words alone, and they also recognize that the vampires Marri and Lan don't seem any different than their human selves, which is most reassuring. They lock the vampires into a prison and set out to open the gates and destroy the much larger vampire group attempting to break into the compound. However, they begin to get overwhelmed. The smaller, locked-up group of vampires begs to help, and the prison guards, seeing no alternative, unlock the bars and set them all free. The vampires grab up human weapons, quickly remembering how to use them, and with the larger joined forces, the two groups (good vs bad) are now about identical in size. The good side with the humans and vampires has firepower, which the bad side of only vampires does not have, and with this they manage to take down the bad vampires with few casualties.

The humans begin to accept the reformed vampires into their society. The compound's scientists struggle to find some way to reverse the vampirism, but they soon give up, seeing that it is impossible. However, they do devise biologically altering chemicals that allow the vampires to feel and enjoy the sunlight again without being burned. With help, the vampires also regain the ability to stomach human's food and drink, although regrettably their true source of survival is still and will always be blood.

However, the compound finds ways to nourish their newfound vampire friends. Since the compound has experienced hunters retrieving food all the time, the drained blood from the cooked animals now gets fed to the vampires. A blood donation wing is reactivated at the main hospital, where willing humans routinely give blood for the vampires. The prison they were temporarily held in is also re-opened, and a few of the compound's violent criminals are thrown in there with death sentences. Comical scenes show prison guards opening cell doors on execution days, and simply letting an evilly grinning vampire into the cell. The prison guard walks away smirking while the sounds of the shrieking prisoner and ripping flesh can be heard in the background, as well as blood spattering on the floor. (The prison janitor brags that he's got more work now than when the world was still in one piece.) The vampires also get jobs mostly in meat freezers and skinning factories, seen drinking the drainage from the meat.

The really nice ending is that some of the vampires do fall in love with humans, and, knowing of the 2x difference in lifespan, most of these couples do end up as both being vampires (the vampires bite and transform their beloved humans). They all celebrate and appreciate Katie and Marri as the symbol of how vampires and humans can coexist and share love.
Last edited by Marri Lightning on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

gkmoberg1

Re: Story Cross (Fanfiction) Let The Right One In / Warm Bod

Post by gkmoberg1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:48 am

Marri! First off - welcome! This is your first post. And, what a story! I need to find and watch 'Warm Bodies'. Yet without having seen it, I readily follow this. What I don't follow is why you don't develop it yourself but let's see if somebody takes it up, if not you yourself. My suggestion: have Suli survive thru to the real battle where the bad vampires have broken into the human's compound. There, have Katie confront Suli a second time, this time completing the task she mistakenly backed off on completing during their first battle. Also, bring the story back to Katie and Marri at the end. They were the ones who set this all in motion; it seems appropriate to tie things together at the finale with something that includes them in a strong manner. - In general, love your enthusiasm. My mind is obviously caught up in your story and playing with it. Yes, you should take it on as a fan-fic! And, once again welcome!

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:17 am

Thanks! But like I said, I don't usually write fanfictions. Not unless they're short and I can crank them out quickly, or they're just an extended synopsis like this one that takes little time but illustrates a large story. I have a spirit story out to get published soon, and that's what I really spend my time with. It should be out sometime next year I think, called I Just Wanted to Say. One of its main characters was inpired by Lina Leandersson in Let The Right One In :)

Also, I did fleetingly consider how long Suli should last. But I realized that such a mistake as harming her and then backing off could lead to a horrible retaliation in revenge, and I know that's a common facepalm mistake some movies make (why didn't ya kill the baddie when ya had the chance, fool?!??!?!!?!?!!!!) so I decided not to go that far.

Romance is the biggest thing I loved writing about in this one. It's a great topic for me, especially young romance (I don't do stories about fully grown adults. Kids and young adults are much more interesting). Thanks for the input!
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:24 am

Oh, and also I did some time ago write a fanfiction "insertion" into Let The Right One In, detailing the post-pool scene and leaving both Thomas (was that his name?) and Andreas alive. It is in actual story form since it's just a single scene, not a quick synopsis like this above.

It's romantic and a little sad, and it covers Eli talking to Oskar after she has killed Conny and Jimmy and threatened then sent off the other boys she left alive. She persuades Oskar to go away with her, as he will be in so much trouble now that he has been discovered with all these deaths (Lacke, and now Jimmy and Conny) and she knows it will ruin his life forever. Eager not to make that mistake with him like she did to Hakan, she bites him in the pool scene, and it ends with him slowly passing out as the transformation is taking place.

Argh!!! Darn arthritis, I need to slow my typin'!!! I'm only 21!!! What eccentric 21-year-old has such a horrible memory AND freakin' arthritis, dare I ask?!?!?!?!!!! Me, that's who!!!!!!!!
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Bummer about your arthritis. I already said hi, so hi again. I would love to know the path that led you to the world of LTROI.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Marri Lightning

Post by Marri Lightning » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:15 am

It's not bad. Took naprosin for a while and it sort of mellowed down a bit. I'll be fine, I think.

As for LTROI, I watched Let Me In when it came out in 2010 (ugh, feels like yesterday XD) and I liked it, but I didn't know it was a copy / remake of anything. Recently I looked again for it to see if I could watch or buy for a low price somewhere, and I was getting results that mentioned "the remake of the old Swedish classic". I wondered what the heck that meant, dug into those words, and voila! I like the Swedish original LTROI about fifty hundred times better, but the other was all right too.

When I first saw Let Me In, I didn't know Chloe Grace Moretz. Even recently, searching the movie and its cast, I didn't remember that it had been her, not even after seeing Kick-Ass and seeing her more publicized. Guess Let Me In's scenes were shot in too much darkness? Lol or maybe because her appearance was slightly altered as a vampire, or because she was younger and had a much different character in that movie. Either way, I was a bit disappointed to see that it was her because I imagined it as some different actress who I would "re-discover" by watching that movie. It was a bummer to realize that, all along, it had been some actress I'd already known as Hit Girl and not as Abby.

Man, I love this place though XD the movie LTROI inspired my book I Just Wanted To Say, just because of Lina's character and appearance. This movie also gave me the deepest emotions, and while before I could never pick a particular favorite movie, it's definitely LTROI now. Even though it was way back in 2008, I'm glad it's still popular today among fans and that this forum is very active to this day. Not sure why I didn't find and try this site earlier.
*S...W...E...E...T
D...R......*

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”