Title Design

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
jkwilliams

Title Design

Post by jkwilliams » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 am

I was curious if there's an explanation for why they designed the title of the film the way they did? :think:

I realize the name is kind of long for a film title but they could have easily fit it on two rows. Instead, they split it up over three rows and purposely lined up the words, Låt... Komma... In... The English version lines up the words, Let... Right... In... and I remember telling dongregg once that it reminded me a little of a cross lying on its side. I'm sure that wasn't their intention, though.

Whatever the reason, it gives it a very distinctive look and even in another language you can recognize it as LTROI because of this layout.

I've always wondered why Wolfchild didn't use this design for the website?

dongregg

Re: Title Design

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

Hi JK. No clue. The style for long dissertation titles at my school is inverted pyramid:

Låt Den Rätte
Komma
In

Let the Right
One
In

But that's only for long titles. Let the Right One In would just be a one-line title.

But graphic designers don't see the world the same way college professors do! And that's a good thing! :lol:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:03 am

Perhaps the reason is that this way the word "rätte" becomes singled out, and thereby emphasised.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 am

jkwilliams wrote:Låt... Komma... In... The English version lines up the words, Let... Right... In...
Wouldn't that be, Let ... Come ... In..., with the implied personal pronoun making it, Let Me Come In, or more concisely, Let Me In, as per the Remake title?

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

jkwilliams

Post by jkwilliams » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Sorry. I should of said the American version instead of English. :oops:

Here in the states, they usually have this layout for the title. It copies the style of the Swedish version but it seems to be emphasizing the words, "The Right One" in the name.
Last edited by jkwilliams on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:04 pm

This image. It does look like a cross on its side.

“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 pm

jkwilliams wrote:Image
You can't hot link images from IMDB.

"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

a_contemplative_life

Post by a_contemplative_life » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:39 am

jkwilliams wrote:I was curious if there's an explanation for why they designed the title of the film the way they did? :think:

I realize the name is kind of long for a film title but they could have easily fit it on two rows. Instead, they split it up over three rows and purposely lined up the words, Låt... Komma... In... The English version lines up the words, Let... Right... In... and I remember telling dongregg once that it reminded me a little of a cross lying on its side. I'm sure that wasn't their intention, though.

Whatever the reason, it gives it a very distinctive look and even in another language you can recognize it as LTROI because of this layout.

I've always wondered why Wolfchild didn't use this design for the website?
I think they were trying to keep all the letters within the black area.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:27 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:I think they were trying to keep all the letters within the black area.
:lol: :D

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:17 pm

a_contemplative_life wrote:...I think they were trying to keep all the letters within the black area.
Hey, right. But they missed something. They should have made the letters red, like when the title comes up near the end of the opening credits. Small touches like that, and the snowstorm, and the natural background sounds tipped me off from the start that this was likely to be a special movie. By about the 12 minute mark, that was more than confirmed.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”