Recent review and....

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Ash

Recent review and....

Post by Ash » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 am

For what it's worth, here's a recent film review of LTROI. I'm not sure why the writer expects a horror film to not have moments of horror in it, but there you go.
http://madmovieman.com/1381-let-the-right-one-in-2008/

And... I think the image below can put the long-running question of whether or not Eli flashes a fang to rest. That, my dear fellows, is definitely a fang. And a very cute one at that. :P

a_contemplative_life

Re: Recent review and....

Post by a_contemplative_life » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 am

There has been much debate about the ability to see a fang (or fangs) in LTROI. I personally think you're right, but IIRC, others disagree.

CyberGhostface

Post by CyberGhostface » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:51 am

Idk if it's true or not but I heard that LTROI isn't considered to be a horror film in Sweden and was marketed as a drama.

I really don't have a clear answer myself. The book is much more of a horror story imo whereas a lot of the gruesome violence and disturbing content (like 80% of Hakan's character :lol: ) is not in the film.
No banaaaanas?

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:33 am

It looks like a fang to me.In the book Eli is just about to kill Oskar and has 2 fangs.Later when she shows him,all of her teeth are fangs.Maybe I'm seeing what I hope to see.I've done it before.In the scene where Eli waits for Virginia in the tree I swear her hand looks clawish.Just like in the book.If it is a fang and I think it is,it's so cute. :wub:
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:22 am

Well...

If you watch the actual movie, you will see that the "fang" is just a thicker patch of "blood". It looks black in the movie scene - I guess the white appearance in the minified clip is an artefact of the minification process.

Besides, the "fang" in the minified clip
  • moves with Lina's lower lip,
  • has a weird shape, and
  • is not positioned where here canine would be (right in the corner of her mouth - check on yourself).
Last edited by metoo on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:25 am

I wasn't intending to start a debate here about the pointless question of whether or not this gif I found on the web is legitimate. And it's beyond me to think that there was any nefarious reason in making it.
So I'll take it on face value until others prove it as otherwise.
And on top of that I'd quite willingly lie there and let Eli suck blood from my neck to share a few days or weeks to play a minor part in her existence. The fact she would see me as a insignificant bump in her life to date doesn't bother me at all. There are much bigger things at play. That is all I wish to be part of. A blip, though however insignificant, was remembered as a friend when needed. If fact, if you can't lay down you life for somebody else, the point of living means nothing at all.

Jameron

Post by Jameron » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Ash wrote:If fact, if you can't lay down you life for somebody else, the point of living means nothing at all.
As cited by one of the more interesting characters in the book ... Håkan
A girlfriend who was pregnant. A young man who wasn’t going to take responsibility. That’s how it was. Happened all the time. No one thought of anything but themselves. My happiness, my future was the only thing you heard. Real love is to offer your life at the feet of another, and that’s what people today are incapable of.

Lindqvist, John Ajvide (2010-10-11). Let the Right One In (p. 21). Quercus. Kindle Edition.
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli’s eyes. And what he saw was … himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."

cmfireflies

Post by cmfireflies » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:57 am

Ash wrote:And on top of that I'd quite willingly lie there and let Eli suck blood from my neck to share a few days or weeks to play a minor part in her existence. The fact she would see me as a insignificant bump in her life to date doesn't bother me at all. There are much bigger things at play. That is all I wish to be part of. A blip, though however insignificant, was remembered as a friend when needed. If fact, if you can't lay down you life for somebody else, the point of living means nothing at all.
This is ambigious, do you mean that you would volunteer to be nommed by Eli in exchange for spending a few days with her, or do you mean that you would give Eli blood over the course of a few days?
"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:28 am

Ash wrote:...I'd quite willingly lie there and let Eli suck blood from my neck to share a few days or weeks to play a minor part in her existence. The fact she would see me as a insignificant bump in her life to date doesn't bother me at all. There are much bigger things at play. That is all I wish to be part of. A blip, though however insignificant, was remembered as a friend when needed. If fact, if you can't lay down you life for somebody else, the point of living means nothing at all.
Many of us feel that strongly about this lonely vampire waif. :wub:
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

ltroifanatic

Post by ltroifanatic » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:56 am

I'm sure many of Eli's helpers have felt the same over the centuries.As Eli said they help for "very different reasons". Some are in love.
Please Oskar.Be me for a little while.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”