Infection Anniversary

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
Ash

Re: Infection Anniversary

Post by Ash » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:49 am

While I will always remain infected to some degree, the problem is that both the novel and film are finite and a time is reached where pretty much all discussion and conjecture has been covered.
I guess the only solution to this is for JAL to give us more. I'd really love a new novel based on and expanding on what he gave us a taste of in LTODD, the period after E&O leave Blackeberg.
For me the story of Eli and Oskar remains unfinished when it possesses so much power and potential energy to be continued. So JAL...... pretty please with sugar on top.

metoo

Post by metoo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Ash wrote:While I will always remain infected to some degree, the problem is that both the novel and film are finite and a time is reached where pretty much all discussion and conjecture has been covered.
I guess the only solution to this is for JAL to give us more. I'd really love a new novel based on and expanding on what he gave us a taste of in LTODD, the period after E&O leave Blackeberg.
For me the story of Eli and Oskar remains unfinished when it possesses so much power and potential energy to be continued. So JAL...... pretty please with sugar on top.
Well, LtODD gave us virtually nothing about O&E, so that would be easy to write (a blank page) but also quite boring to read (a blank page). But I think that's fine. I don't want JAL to waste his time on writing sequels or prequels or any quels at all. I prefer new stuff. But I feel rather assured that this is what he aims to deliver in the future, too.

That said, I wouldn't reject the occasional short story, similar to LtODD, where we could get a glimpse of O&E as through binoculars turned the wrong way...
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:59 am

I suppose you're absolutely right metoo. And I also suppose that any further detailed information on E&O would perhaps have consequences on how we view the original novel and their relationship, sully it.
"So Eli only did that because later on in Barcelona he..." Open can of worms, if that is the appropriate phrase.

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 am

Ash wrote:I suppose you're absolutely right metoo. And I also suppose that any further detailed information on E&O would perhaps have consequences on how we view the original novel and their relationship, sully it.
"So Eli only did that because later on in Barcelona he..." Open can of worms, if that is the appropriate phrase.
Well, I don't think that "any further detailed information on E&O" would necessarily sully our view. Not mine, anyway - after all, I wrote this story. The problem with sequels, as I see it, is that new stuff is added in order to write an interesting (and selling) story, and this new stuff changes the preconditions and thus sullies the original.

A reason why I think JAL won't write a sequel to LtROI is that his stories deal with normal people who happens to come across "the other", something supernatural. LtROI is such a story, it's about Oskar and his life and troubles. A sequel to LtROI featuring O&E as main characters wouldn't fit this pattern.
But from the beginning Eli was just Eli. Nothing. Anything. And he is still a mystery to me. John Ajvide Lindqvist

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:05 am

Fan fiction aside, I would say that anything that JAL wrote subsequent to LTROI that casts doubt on Eli's motivation as seen in the original novel, would have serious repercussions on how we view her in the original.
Our former view of him would be inextricably connected to the later and vise versa. While you view Eli's life after Blackeberg as an extension of her former life, JAL might not necessarily write it that way. A slight plot twist might mean it doesn't at all. And a sequel without a plot twist would be pointless and boring,

metoo

Post by metoo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:09 pm

Ash wrote:Fan fiction aside, I would say that anything that JAL wrote subsequent to LTROI that casts doubt on Eli's motivation as seen in the original novel, would have serious repercussions on how we view her in the original. Our former view of him would be inextricably connected to the later and vise versa.

Yes, I agree. But a crucial point is "as seen in the original novel", which is a personal experience. Therefore, I might have more – or less - problems with a sequel than someone else would.
Ash wrote:While you view Eli's life after Blackeberg as an extension of her former life, JAL might not necessarily write it that way. A slight plot twist might mean it doesn't at all.

Well, it all depends on what is meant by "extension". My view is that Eli and Oskar would remain together, this is obviously supported by LtODD, and it would constitute a great break with Eli's former life. Other aspects of Eli's life would likely not differ at all - amongst those foremost Eli's feeding habits and the subsequent need to live largely outside society, while still in the midst of it. I think this view is held by JAL, too, as indicated by LtODD and What Kept You So Long.
Ash wrote:And a sequel without a plot twist would be pointless and boring,
Perhaps. At least that is what most sequel writers seem to take for granted, and the reason why I advocate against a sequel to LtROI. JAL himself added a plot twist to What Kept You So Long, which I have to consider if I should regard as intrinsic to LtROI, too.

However, I can imagine a sequel to LtROI without any plot twists that would still be interesting. It could delve into concepts such as moral and guilt, and what can be demanded from (development-wise) twelve year old kids, and so forth. I think such a text could be very thought provoking and interesting.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Here's the deal. I'm 3 months, 1 day, and 12 1/2 minutes away from my infection's 3rd anniversary.

Okay, the 12 1/2 minutes part is meant to be funny. The film had my rapt attention from the opening credits and snowstorm. I was totally and hopeless infected 12 1/2 minutes in when Eli cocked her head to the side and asked, "What are you doing?"

But as to what Ash and metoo are talking about -- I think in a way we are wanting (or not wanting) JAL to keep giving us more post-Blackeberg tidbits. I appreciated that he wrote LTODD for us, but otherwise I have no opinion about whether or not something more would be good.

That's partly because Oskar and Eli live on in fan fictions. There are plot twists, touching scenes, triumphs, and tragedies -- everything that a besotted Eli and Oskar lover could dream of.

Keep 'em coming! :)
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

Marok

Post by Marok » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Hey everyone!

While the 1. Anniversary of my infection was already a couple weeks ago the anniversary day of me signing up on this wonderful place was just yesterday! That’s also something worth celebrating, isn’t it? :)

Now I know I haven’t been active for quite a while now and I wish I could say that’s going to change, but truth be told, I’m really not a talkative person, whether it is in real life or on the internet. So I’m afraid I’ll continue being quiet for the most part. Quite a disadvantageous trait when it comes to an online board, right? Staying quiet or being gone for good – nobody would notice the difference.

Anyways, even a year later and more than a dozen times watching this little gem of a film, I still enjoy watching it more than many other films. Quite an achievement for a film, while I can also think of a few that already bored me during the very first time viewing them.
At the same time I couldn’t get anyone I know to see the film within that year. I suggested it a couple times, but it was always responded to with no interest in it whatsoever. So I let it go, didn’t want to push anyone into watching it and then having them dislike it. Because that would be a reaction I’d dislike! :evil:

On a closing note, it’s still nice to see new people signing up, ones who are hopefully more active than me and I wish you all happy holidays! ;)

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Marok,

Right, the film isn't for everyone.

It's also okay to be a quiet member of the forum. Great about all the new members, isn't it?

So Merry Christmas (and a long list of other holiday greetings)!

Including swell noel and cool yule!
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

gkmoberg1

Post by gkmoberg1 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Happy Infection, Marok May it last a long time. :twisted:

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”