How Does Eli Know?

For discussion of Tomas Alfredson's Film Låt den rätte komma in
lor.s

Re: How Does Eli Know?

Post by lor.s » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:59 pm

seigezunt wrote:... or does Eli know?

This occurred to me the other night, and I went back to check in the novel, but it doesn't really help achieve clarity.

If Eli leaves after killing Lacke, what circumstances lead Eli back to the pool for the rescue? Was it just luck? Was Eli flying back for a last look? Had Eli's mind changed?

Was there some sort of vampire radar? How, or did, Eli know Oskar was in trouble?

I'm curious if people have mulled that over. I'm not saying it's a plot problem, but it just occurred to me.

In the novel, there's some more action that happens between Eli leaving and the rescue, but still.

Thoughts? Did I miss something?

It does not have to be a reason . It's just a movie and not have to follow a logical line .
It is what we would like to happen in real life . Finally vengeance against the bullys , finally Eli comes to save the beloved , there is a connection between Eli and Oskar beyond logic, closer to the sentimental feelings, and what we feel as idea of ​​love and justice. Often this does not happen in real life, and that´s why gives us a feeling of pleasure and justice that in this relationship between Oskar and Eli . That's why we love it. It´s close of our dreams. No need to worry about finding a logic.
Reason of art is to move (thrill) us , even if there´s no linear logic

I´m sorry about my bad english, that´s why a didn´t write before.

dongregg

Post by dongregg » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:04 pm

lor.s wrote:It does not have to be a reason . It's just a movie and not have to follow a logical line .
It is what we would like to happen in real life . Finally vengeance against the bullys , finally Eli comes to save the beloved , there is a connection between Eli and Oskar beyond logic, closer to the sentimental feelings, and what we feel as idea of ​​love and justice. Often this does not happen in real life, and that´s why gives us a feeling of pleasure and justice that in this relationship between Oskar and Eli . That's why we love it. It´s close of our dreams. No need to worry about finding a logic.
Reason of art is to move (thrill) us , even if there´s no linear logic..
Ingmar Bergman said, "No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of the soul."

Jerome Charyn wrote, "Movie time has its own logic and laws, related to little else in our lives... We dream our way through all these events"

Raymond Chandler said that "film is much closer to music [than to literary or dramatic arts] in that its finest effects can be independent of precise meaning."
lor.s wrote:I´m sorry about my bad english, that´s why a didn´t write before.
It's what you said, not how you said it, lor.s. No need to be shy because of your English.
“For drama to deepen, we must see the loneliness of the monster and the cunning of the innocent.”

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:19 pm

dongregg wrote:
It's what you said, not how you said it, lor.s. No need to be shy because of your English.
Thank you, dongregg ;)

Marlow

Post by Marlow » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Jumping in at the end of the thread, but it could be as simple as Eli knowing Oskar had swimming at 6 PM on Wednesdays. She watched him through the window before when he was swimming and she may have flown back just to look through the window again when she knew he would be there.

My preferred film interpretation is Eli is all in Oskar's head and he expires with a compensatory wish, but there are problems with that interpretation being consistent with some earlier aspects/events of the film.
Du luktar konstigt

Bloody Mary

Post by Bloody Mary » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:03 pm

I figured that Eli went to the pool to watch Oskar whenever he was there, out of loneliness or maybe just liking him. And then saw the bullies.
"Do not go gentle into that good night . . . Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:23 am

lor.s wrote:It does not have to be a reason . It's just a movie and not have to follow a logical line .
Reason of art is to move (thrill) us , even if there´s no linear logic

I´m sorry about my bad english, that´s why a didn´t write before.
I agree in that Eli showing up in the exact time needed is the "connection between Eli and Oskar beyond logic" as you say but I disagree in that it needs no explanation. It does simply because this very thread exists. Because the question is brought up, repeatedly, it demands an answer. If it doesn't provide some attempt at answering it, be it ambiguously or straightforward, it forgot something. LTROI did not forget something, it was a thorough movie. Its artsy ways were not just for being artsy sake, its backed up with depth and thought. It is ambiguous though. I tend to reach for Eli saying that she would be there for him if Oskar hit back and it wasn't enough, which he did and it wasn't, as major foreshadowing to the pool scene.

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:10 pm

jetboy wrote: I agree in that Eli showing up in the exact time needed is the "connection between Eli and Oskar beyond logic" as you say but I disagree in that it needs no explanation. It does simply because this very thread exists. Because the question is brought up, repeatedly, it demands an answer. If it doesn't provide some attempt at answering it, be it ambiguously or straightforward, it forgot something. LTROI did not forget something, it was a thorough movie. Its artsy ways were not just for being artsy sake, its backed up with depth and thought. It is ambiguous though. I tend to reach for Eli saying that she would be there for him if Oskar hit back and it wasn't enough, which he did and it wasn't, as major foreshadowing to the pool scene.
Hello Jetboy :)

If you agree that there is a "connection beyond logic between Oskar and Eli" , why can not you accept that it is for -that reason-, that Eli went to help Oskar in the pool ?
I prefer to feel the emotion of the moment without ask to myself so many questions. Like a said, It´s just a movie, this kind of things doesn´t happend in real life, and that´s why touch our souls so profoundly.

As you said, we should ask why Eli is a vampire, since there are no vampires in real life.

It's like going to see a magic show, and pretend to know how the magicien does every trick , not allowing yourself, the opportunity to enjoy and let the magician enchants us with his actings.

jetboy

Post by jetboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:10 pm

lor.s wrote:
jetboy wrote: I agree in that Eli showing up in the exact time needed is the "connection between Eli and Oskar beyond logic" as you say but I disagree in that it needs no explanation. It does simply because this very thread exists. Because the question is brought up, repeatedly, it demands an answer. If it doesn't provide some attempt at answering it, be it ambiguously or straightforward, it forgot something. LTROI did not forget something, it was a thorough movie. Its artsy ways were not just for being artsy sake, its backed up with depth and thought. It is ambiguous though. I tend to reach for Eli saying that she would be there for him if Oskar hit back and it wasn't enough, which he did and it wasn't, as major foreshadowing to the pool scene.
Hello Jetboy :)

If you agree that there is a "connection beyond logic between Oskar and Eli" , why can not you accept that it is for -that reason-, that Eli went to help Oskar in the pool ?
I prefer to feel the emotion of the moment without ask to myself so many questions. Like a said, It´s just a movie, this kind of things doesn´t happend in real life, and that´s why touch our souls so profoundly.

As you said, we should ask why Eli is a vampire, since there are no vampires in real life.

It's like going to see a magic show, and pretend to know how the magicien does every trick , not allowing yourself, the opportunity to enjoy and let the magician enchants us with his actings.
Hi lor.s, nice talking to you. The reason I think there needs to be some kind of explanation, even if the movie is based in fantasy is that even fantasy has rules to live by. Yes Elis vampirism allows her to do many fantastical things like fly and be very strong but she also can't go in the sun or go inside without being invited in. These rules must be obeyed if the story is to be believable. Imagine if they just had Eli walk out into the sun and nothing happened. You couldn't say its ok just because vampires dont really exist and therefore they can do whatever they want. They can but is it believable? Same with the pool scene. I need some kind of explanation.

The reason why I said that I agree that there is a connection between Oskar and Eli that goes beyond logic but still need an explanation is that what I'm really saying is that the explanation may be more spiritual in nature. Its not logical on this earthly plane. In other words, maybe she's an angel. Maybe she's Oskars imaginary friend. The title itself may be a clue. When you invite a vampire in, its more than just letting it into a room, you are letting it into your soul, you are infected with it, spiritually. These aren't definite of course, just ideas. I do think that it definitely has to do with Eli saying that she would help if hitting the bullies wasn't enough.

lor.s

Post by lor.s » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I Understand you Jetboy. As you said, I prefer to think that it´s a "spiritual conection" between them ;)

NigelNinja

Post by NigelNinja » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:58 pm

seigezunt wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:47 pm
... or does Eli know?

This occurred to me the other night, and I went back to check in the novel, but it doesn't really help achieve clarity.

If Eli leaves after killing Lacke, what circumstances lead Eli back to the pool for the rescue? Was it just luck? Was Eli flying back for a last look? Had Eli's mind changed?

Was there some sort of vampire radar? How, or did, Eli know Oskar was in trouble?

I'm curious if people have mulled that over. I'm not saying it's a plot problem, but it just occurred to me.

In the novel, there's some more action that happens between Eli leaving and the rescue, but still.

Thoughts? Did I miss something?
Being a hopeless romantic, I believe it was that they were simply meant to be together. I think Eli simply couldn't go back to life as it was before Oskar. From there call it fate or devine intervention or whatever that she found Oskar at the moment when he needed her most. I figure she went to his apartment and he wasn't there and the next logical place she would look for him would be the pool house.

In my mushy gushy heart and mind I believe on the trip back to Blackberg she planned a whole romantic speech about how leaving was a mistake and she couldn't live without him and she just happened to arrive when Jimmy was drowning him and the "oh hell no" kicked in. From there as the saying goes, they all lived happily ever after. :wub:
Hit back. Hard.

Return to “Let The Right One In (Film)”